Aspergers & Hygiene - advice please

Hello, i have a brother in his early 30s we highly suspect has Aspergers or something similar. Have done some reading online and seems like it's important we get him diagnosed. In the mean time, me and another sibling are trying to get our brother to understand and make changes to his current habits/lifestyle. for example, he neglects personal hygiene. He doesn't take regular showers to the point a layer of skin/dirt accumulates all over his body, developing sores, filthy home, mites, etc. he's not regularly changing his clothes, i.e. underwear/socks and so the smell is obviously offending.

Parents
  • I guess a common reason could be that taking a shower would mean having to take time off doing other things? 

Another possible reason is that he doesn't like the sensation of water/soap.

Have you tried talking to him to try to find out why he doesn't regularly shower? Maybe together you could try to figure out the cause and find a solution.

• I've tried asking him but he does this weird thing where he kinda shuts down if he can't/won't asnwer, he'll give no response but looks like he's deep in thought on how to answer resulting in no answer... 

His main priority asides from eating is frustratingly, World of War Craft/Online gaming. if he's not at work or able to play on a computer, he's on a console wherever he is. 

• I've tried asking him but he does this weird thing where he kinda shuts down if he can't/won't asnwer, he'll give no response but looks like he's deep in thought on how to answer resulting in no answer... 

His main priority asides from eating is frustratingly, World of War Craft/Online gaming. if he's not at work or able to play on a computer, he's on a console wherever he is. 

Children
No Data