Aspergers & Hygiene - advice please

Hello, i have a brother in his early 30s we highly suspect has Aspergers or something similar. Have done some reading online and seems like it's important we get him diagnosed. In the mean time, me and another sibling are trying to get our brother to understand and make changes to his current habits/lifestyle. for example, he neglects personal hygiene. He doesn't take regular showers to the point a layer of skin/dirt accumulates all over his body, developing sores, filthy home, mites, etc. he's not regularly changing his clothes, i.e. underwear/socks and so the smell is obviously offending.

Parents
  • Is this anything to do with comfort & fear of change? Going from filth to sparkly clean is a huge step change and the process, the soap smells and the tingly dry skin afterwards may be too overwhelming.

I have eczema so as my skin dries & contracts after a shower or bath, my hands feel like I stuffed them into stinging nettles and my body is so overloading that I could (do) scratch myself until I bleed. If I could avoid the whole process, I would.

• Is this anything to do with comfort & fear of change? Going from filth to sparkly clean is a huge step change and the process, the soap smells and the tingly dry skin afterwards may be too overwhelming.

I have eczema so as my skin dries & contracts after a shower or bath, my hands feel like I stuffed them into stinging nettles and my body is so overloading that I could (do) scratch myself until I bleed. If I could avoid the whole process, I would.

Children
No Data