Good employment?

Anyone that’s currently employed and feels their job is a good fit for them what do you do?

I’m in a good job and there’s lots I enjoy about it: the actual teaching, preparing teaching materials, even admin like spreadsheets, setting up IT etc. The parts I’m struggling with and finding really stressful to the point where it’s affecting my mental health are the bits where I have to lead meetings, organise and work with colleagues. This is clearly not playing to my strengths! Trouble is it’s kind of integral to my job! To be honest I’m trying to think of something which might suit me better.

Any ideas? Definately quite open to something different if it makes my life better.

• I think about 80% of my friends who are employed would frequently confess they ain't satisfied with their jobs even though they love it. But Why? My boss this, my boss that! It is all about their bosses high expectations that they in turn put the pressure on their employees. However, this has always been my advice. Unless you ai'nt financially stable you have no choice. You simply have to be patience, put your best at your current income generator as you look for something better. That you still love and could not affect your social life and mental health.

MY THOUGHT!!!

• This is quite telling! 

• Many of my NT colleagues seem better able to cope with poor management - they ignore it, confront it or find ways round it. Wish I could! 

• The management doesn't help, but I've had some very good norm managers.  I've also had some shockingly bad ones.

I think it's the norm social games and the norm social hierarchy expectations/games that are the real killers.

• There are some really interesting observations on Autistic vs NT working culture here: https://autcollab.org

I'm often more badly affected by poor management than my NT colleagues. I'm beginning to understand why. 

• Have to agree - incompetent, lazy managers make or break the employment experience. I've worked for some shockers.

• My own experience is that the job - however varied - is never really the issue.  It is the manager and the organisation behind him/her that can make, or break, any employment

• I can really relate to that! Students are great, colleagues more tricky!

• Thanks so much for that. School lab tech is a job I’d been seriously thinking about actually. Really pleased to hear it’s suiting you so well Emma. Your e.mail has really inspired me to seriously look into it. :o)

• Oh yeah, that too! The holidays are the only thing that keep me functioning when it comes to household stuff. :) 

• That was my favourite of all the jobs I've ever had. Unfortunately for me, I was only covering maternity leave for one academic year, so I didn't get to stay. Besides the work, and the variety of it, suiting me really well, working term-time only was a huge benefit. I just can't get by on the few week's leave of a regular job, trying to keep going for months on end without a break. I always just end up burning out, even when it's been one of the more tolerable ones.

I get the impression that one of the reasons that school lab tech jobs come up so rarely is because of other people like us who find it suits them so well.

• I’m a school lab tech. It suits me down to the ground. 

I work in a place where pretty much all my colleagues have autism training. My autism can even be an asset (I can be a source of insight re. some of the kids, if it comes up) and I can safely be very open about it.

It’s perfectly matched to my skill/knowledge  set. I spend half my time fixing things and/or making gadgets. I get to use my academic knowledge on a daily basis too. I have enough of a pre-set schedule to provide a comfortable sense of familiarity but things change enough that I never get bored. I get to play with all the fun science kit. I get to help out with the kids when they do experiments/do big flashy demonstrations. I sometimes go on trips. I can put on after school clubs with a focus on things I’m interested in. I can fill my workspace with animals and plants and even bring my pets in occasionally.

Best job ever! ;) 

• I'm a secondary teacher. Fine with the kids, it's the adults that drive me crazy! Finding meetings a real problem lately, and things that seem unprofessional, eg lateness to meetings, talking over people, etc

• I'm a TA in a special needs school. I like the structure of it, working with the kids and doing IT based stuff. I would never be able to lead meetings etc, I hate being in the spotlight. I sometimes get confused about interactions with colleagues and can get annoyed/upset. But generally I think I manage well at work.