older and elderly autistic adults

I'm a researcher but also a parent of two autistic adults.  I'm conducting a research study as part of my post-graduate degree focusing on older and elderly autistic adults, in particular the support they receive once they reach retirement age; where they are living; who's advocating for them; and just how safe are they.  I'm interested in hearing families' views and experiences and if anyone is happy to share this information with me please reply to this post.  Thank you.  

Parents
  • You have come here anonymously. This appears to me similar to an anonymous phone caller who wants to do a survey then asks personal questions. I find that both devious and rude. Please go through the proper channels if you are genuine. If you ARE genuine I will join in.  If you are not prepared to do that, please don’t be taking advantage of us. 

• I’m sorry you feel this way. My research is genuine and invites RELATIVES of older autistic adults to participate. My personal details and details of the study are available once interest has been expressed. 

• But I think Alice's point is still right.  This kind of thing happens a lot, which is why research requests should first of all go to the email address mentioned in Rule 8.  I'm sure that both your research and your intentions are genuine, but when they are made by an anonymous person, how can we ever be sure?  The forums have had lots of issues with trolls.  We also get a lot of people who post anonymous questions and get answers from people wishing to help... but that's as far as it goes.  It's nice to at least know we're talking to a name, and someone with profile details, rather than a number with an empty profile.

I also agree that this is necessary research, and I'm glad it's something someone is prepared to take up.

• As a researcher doing a post-grad degree, shouldn't your ethics be better than asking annonymously without going through the correct channels and not even stating the university or what field the post grad course is etc? 

• It is necessary research and probably has sizeable interest, particularly for adults who need support and for their families. It would be a good one to do officially. I hope it is going/has gone well. I've had previous experience elsewhere of someone pretending to do research. I apologise. Thank you for replying. Even if I still haven't a clue who you are!  I hope your study and family do well. 

• This was just an invitation to get in touch, everything else would be done through my university. i’m sorry I ever posted here, it was never my intention cause any upset, it was merely a post to gage an interest nothing more.

Reply Children
  • As a researcher doing a post-grad degree, shouldn't your ethics be better than asking annonymously without going through the correct channels and not even stating the university or what field the post grad course is etc? 

• It is necessary research and probably has sizeable interest, particularly for adults who need support and for their families. It would be a good one to do officially. I hope it is going/has gone well. I've had previous experience elsewhere of someone pretending to do research. I apologise. Thank you for replying. Even if I still haven't a clue who you are!  I hope your study and family do well.