Autism in films and TV dramas

I watched Mary & Max the claymation animation for maybe the 17th time yesterday.

In a random Google search this morning I came across an 'Autism Anthem' - a YouTube compilation of film clips from: 

Skins, The Good Doctor, Power Rangers, The Accountant, Scorpion, Parent Hood, Jane Wants A Boy Friend, The Story of Luke, Jack of the Red Hearts, Atypical, The 4400, Girl Meets World

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PtLcTGOrrKk

What do you think of attempts to portray autism in these, or any other, films or TV programmes? 

Are there any accurate, positive, helpful representations of autistic people? 

I'd love to know your thoughts! 

Parents
  • I loved Atypical. Some people said it was a very stereotypical portrayal but I didn't see it that way at all. I thought he was quite a unique character and to portray an autistic character there surely has to be a number of autistic traits.

I also enjoyed the good doctor and love Sheldon in big bang and Young Sheldon (even though they never out right say he is autistic.

I recently watched Power Rangers with my friends son and loved the addition of an autistic Power Ranger.

My all time favourite is the main character in I Am Sam. He has autism and learning difficulties and "accidentally" ends up with a film. If you haven't seen this film - I HIGHLY recommend it.

• I loved Atypical too. The whole family did. I didn't really care if it was a very stereotypical portrayal or not - it was done very well and really showed what it can be like having autism in a neurotypical world...and how everyone in the family deals with it differently. If you haven't seen this, it's on Netflix and is really an amazing watch, 2 seasons so far and hopefully more.

It was through Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory that my wife and kids understood me better. We do lots of things the same, there's things we struggle with, but we're also very capable. Plus, he's smart and funny, and that's always a good way to get things across to the masses on the screen.

There's also one of the characters in "Earth to Echo" has autism, which I bizarrely found out on I think it was Wikipedia. It's never mentioned in any way, but if you know what you're looking for, it's really apparent. The main thing that struck me was that the boy's family was moving house the next day and the entire house was either completely empty or boxed up...and his bedroom had not been touched at all. His books, models, computer bits, bed, everything, not been packed at all. I imagined his parents' plan was to pack it up at the very very last minute, move it to the new house, and place absolutely everything back into its correct place before he was allowed in the room.

I identified a lot with Benedict Cumberbatch when he did Sherlock. Every episode was like "ya that's me".

• I loved Atypical too. The whole family did. I didn't really care if it was a very stereotypical portrayal or not - it was done very well and really showed what it can be like having autism in a neurotypical world...and how everyone in the family deals with it differently. If you haven't seen this, it's on Netflix and is really an amazing watch, 2 seasons so far and hopefully more.

It was through Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory that my wife and kids understood me better. We do lots of things the same, there's things we struggle with, but we're also very capable. Plus, he's smart and funny, and that's always a good way to get things across to the masses on the screen.

There's also one of the characters in "Earth to Echo" has autism, which I bizarrely found out on I think it was Wikipedia. It's never mentioned in any way, but if you know what you're looking for, it's really apparent. The main thing that struck me was that the boy's family was moving house the next day and the entire house was either completely empty or boxed up...and his bedroom had not been touched at all. His books, models, computer bits, bed, everything, not been packed at all. I imagined his parents' plan was to pack it up at the very very last minute, move it to the new house, and place absolutely everything back into its correct place before he was allowed in the room.

I identified a lot with Benedict Cumberbatch when he did Sherlock. Every episode was like "ya that's me".

Children
No Data