Déjà vu

I suffer with daily bouts of deja vu, I have all my life. Is this part of autism. It can be very up setting at times I can go places and get a strong felling that I’ve been here doing the exact same thing. I can watch programs or films for the first time and come away convinced I’ve seen it before when it’s impossible. Is it just me or am I crazy.?  

• I have been dealing with the same thing since I was a kid. De ja vu that made me sick to my stomach. Always assumed it was panic attacks. Then just assumed I had ADHD because I have all the symptoms. Been researching my whole life. Then starting having seizures in my sleep. Then found out all this is part of autism. Now it's all making sense and I had a huge ah ha moment. Planning on seeing a dr to get diagnosed soon because I feel like I figured my life out after 32 years..

• I have been dealing with the same thing since I was a kid. De ja vu that made me sick to my stomach. Always assumed it was panic attacks. Then just assumed I had ADHD because I have all the symptoms. Been researching my whole life. Then starting having seizures in my sleep. Then found out all this is part of autism. Now it's all making sense and I had a huge ah ha moment. Planning on seeing a dr to get diagnosed soon because I feel like I figured my life out after 32 years..

• Good question. I don’t think your crazy and I think everyone suffers from Deja Vu in their lifetime. There is some research to suggest that constant Deja Vu could be linked to the same brain areas as engaged for Epilepsy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30927102 

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/deja-vu-what-it-is-and-when-it-may-be-cause-for-concern/ 

This is not to say that this is what is causing this for you or for anyone else (there are lots of causes for lots of things). But if it’s causing problems, it might be worth speaking to your GP.

• indeed lol j watched a clip from that show a bit back and couldn't believe how corny it was

• We ought to go for a jaunt somewhere.

• ive always had very realistic dreams too

• omg you're showing your age i remember that show lol

• Are we Tomorrow People?

• i experience deja vu all the time i never even considered that it could be linked to autism another thing i find spooky is i can be sat at home ( or anywhere ) and i will suddenly think of someone and within minutes i will get a text / call or visit from that person i also have the thinking of a song and minutes later it plays on the radio

• I rarely go back into my dreams - I'll never know if the car ever gets finished.

• we were in his garage and the chassis was upside down and I was thinking 'how 70s' because he had painted all the suspension bright red. The dream went on for ages - we half-built the car. He was short of some parts and so we looked on ebay (in the dream still) and found what was needed.

So?

don’t keep us hanging in suspense-Sion!

did you get the car completed and did you have to pay over the top postage on said items? (In the dream still).

Lol....

• I'm not sure - I have hyper-real dreams every night.

A couple of nights ago, I was dreaming about a friend of mine building a car - we were in his garage and the chassis was upside down and I was thinking 'how 70s' because he had painted all the suspension bright red. The dream went on for ages - we half-built the car. He was short of some parts and so we looked on ebay (in the dream still) and found what was needed.

I was on ebay in real life today looking for some bits for my music stuff and in the hilariously named 'best match' search results was almost the exact image I had 'seen' in my dream for parts for this car.

Spooky, huh?

This happens a lot for me - I'll be looking through my record collection (remember them?) and I find something I like (obscure) and the next time I get in my car, it's played on the radio.

If only I could dream my lottery numbers.

• I have my own theory of déjà vu.

There are different parts to the memory in the brain.

There's long term memory where we store what we want to remember because it's important to us.

And there is short term memory which is the routine stuff we experience all the time and it's overwritten with new experiences.

When some memorable experience is copied from short term memory to the long term memory.  It is stored in two memory locations simultaneously and we experience déjà vu.  Until the short term memory location is overwritten by something else. And we get back to normal.

• Thankyou all for the replies, I also have a serious problem with time as in the sense if you was to call me a bad name last year if I thought about it would feel like it was yesterday or if so one said when did you go to x I would not be able to pinpoint a time in history it would fell like everything has just happened. I had a brake down a number of years ago after a tromatic childhood and different advents and on big problem during it was I felt like i had been told the future as every day felt like I had already new how events were going to happen.

• So am I. I’m trying to give it up 

• What can I say, I'm a people pleaser.

• Your response was certainly highly predictable :) 

• I'm sure I've read this thread before.....

• Thank you Trogluddite for pretty much saying exactly what I would have said myself, we do share quite similar mindsets in quite a few things!

The disorganised memory is by far my nemesis, it is fragmented so although most of the things I need to remember are indeed in my head, it is finding them and putting them altogether straight away I fail at, some get lost altogether, other less important things just get stuck up the front of the loading/dispatch bay,,, working memory area. It cannot hold the information so files it way back in the big warehouse, somewhere! 

I also lose time ,,, I can travel huge distances and block out a lot of the journey as peripheral and not needed,, but it’s the time passed that doesn’t register,

now back to de ja vu, MGT1982,

I constantly feel I am just reliving events, I can pretty much know exactly what is about to happen, or a conversation word for word, I often stop and say “ have I already told you this?” Quite often the other person has no recollection of the event.

one thing that is different is my apparent ability to see into the future, I am no mystic but freaky events do happen quite often.

I can be just chatting away to someone and an event will pop into my head, a memory so specific it seems relevant to share, the next day or two I am told, “ you know what you were telling me!, well I have just been asked to price a  Job in that exact same place,,, not nearby,, exactly where you said,, so how come you knew?”.

My boss actually  said keep having these memories as it means more work for us,, it happens a lot. Not always exact areas but connected in some way,, for instance I will suddenly start talking about a job years ago that involved specific machine and type of work,,, pile driving for instance,, then suddenly an enquiry for a piling job?.

Or creating a wetland reserve using machinery and artistic license,, suddenly a job to create one or maintain one I built years ago.

The memories are random,, I do not plan them, just sudden memories which I just have to share, 

There is more to this world and the human mind than we will ever understand fully.

For now I just accept I am from a different planet and time zone.

I have always felt I was not from this planet, and it seems those that know me agree whole heartedly.

take care all.