Déjà vu

I suffer with daily bouts of deja vu, I have all my life. Is this part of autism. It can be very up setting at times I can go places and get a strong felling that I’ve been here doing the exact same thing. I can watch programs or films for the first time and come away convinced I’ve seen it before when it’s impossible. Is it just me or am I crazy.?  

Parents
  • I have my own theory of déjà vu.

There are different parts to the memory in the brain.

There's long term memory where we store what we want to remember because it's important to us.

And there is short term memory which is the routine stuff we experience all the time and it's overwritten with new experiences.

When some memorable experience is copied from short term memory to the long term memory.  It is stored in two memory locations simultaneously and we experience déjà vu.  Until the short term memory location is overwritten by something else. And we get back to normal.

• I'm not sure - I have hyper-real dreams every night.

A couple of nights ago, I was dreaming about a friend of mine building a car - we were in his garage and the chassis was upside down and I was thinking 'how 70s' because he had painted all the suspension bright red. The dream went on for ages - we half-built the car. He was short of some parts and so we looked on ebay (in the dream still) and found what was needed.

I was on ebay in real life today looking for some bits for my music stuff and in the hilariously named 'best match' search results was almost the exact image I had 'seen' in my dream for parts for this car.

Spooky, huh?

This happens a lot for me - I'll be looking through my record collection (remember them?) and I find something I like (obscure) and the next time I get in my car, it's played on the radio.

If only I could dream my lottery numbers.

• I'm not sure - I have hyper-real dreams every night.

A couple of nights ago, I was dreaming about a friend of mine building a car - we were in his garage and the chassis was upside down and I was thinking 'how 70s' because he had painted all the suspension bright red. The dream went on for ages - we half-built the car. He was short of some parts and so we looked on ebay (in the dream still) and found what was needed.

I was on ebay in real life today looking for some bits for my music stuff and in the hilariously named 'best match' search results was almost the exact image I had 'seen' in my dream for parts for this car.

Spooky, huh?

This happens a lot for me - I'll be looking through my record collection (remember them?) and I find something I like (obscure) and the next time I get in my car, it's played on the radio.

If only I could dream my lottery numbers.

Children