Finding it hard at work

Hi I’ve got aspergers, I’m finding my job very difficult at the moment. I don’t enjoys the job itself, I struggle being around my colleagues especially my team leader. I’m stressed everyday in work and then I take that stress home!

i can’t go on the sick cos I can’t afford to, I can’t claim benefits and I feel trapped in an environment that’s making me unwell. 

I really don’t know what to do. 

Parents
  • It’s a difficult situation that I have experienced myself. I note though that you are recently diagnosed, and are not sure if your employer is supportive yet. Perhaps you should ask to discuss reasonable adjustments with them, or if you find this difficult then put it in writing for them and see what their response is. Maybe also think about whether you want your colleagues to know your diagnosis. You could contact Access to Work as they can work with you and your employer to support you in work.

If your employer does turn out to not be supportive, then in reality the best thing would be to find another job, otherwise the difficulties will only continue. You could always look for another job that would fit you well and make some applications whilst still working for your current employer, as that way it will have less impact on your financial position if you do change jobs.

Alternatively, if you think a short break would be enough to help then you could try taking a couple of weeks leave and seeing if that helps.

• So far they’re being alright. The only issue is that the area I struggle most with, being social they can’t change as my job involves working with people. The change of career is the best course it just I don’t know what job to do

• Are there ways you could modify the social interactions to assist you? (Sorry if that sounds mad, I’m not sure what your job is and therefore whether this would be possible).

If you are not sure what you would like to do then how about trying them online quizzes that match your personality/skill set to appropriate jobs (supposedly at least!), just to give you some ideas. Or if possible, try some jobs you think might be right voluntarily and see if they fit.

Reply Children
No Data