Can anyone clarify

hi so yesterday i had my ASD assessment i had to fill in a couple of questionnaires ie how does this affect you Alot a bit not at all etc then the guy (who was really nice) asked me some more questions ( i can't recall what he asked i seem to be having a problem with my memory lately ) anyway at the end nearly an hour had passed yet it didn't feel like that he said normally its quite a long waiting time till you get to the diagnosis part but in your case im recommending we see you as soon as possible im classing it as an emergency

im a bit worried now as to why im an emergency has anyone else had this happen to them what could be an emergency about me im in panic mode now

Parents
  • I'd assume it's nothing more sinister than they think it would be beneficial to fast track you as opposed to some of the other people they have pre-screened already.  Maybe it was just a poor choice of words.  I'd expect if there was an "emergency emergency" you'd already have some idea it was happening!

• thanks i was just wondering what was up ive read many accounts on here of people waiting such a long time and was expecting the same but it got me panicking that he saw something i hadn't been aware of

• My partner and I live in Berkshire.  We're quite lucky that there's an adult NHS diagnosis service in this area but I guess we had to wait about 18 months to 2 years from when we were referred by our GP to when we finally had our assessments.  I think it can vary dramatically from "there's basically no NHS provision" upwards depending on where you live.

If they're happy to see you sooner rather than later I wouldn't be too unhappy with that :-).

• My partner and I live in Berkshire.  We're quite lucky that there's an adult NHS diagnosis service in this area but I guess we had to wait about 18 months to 2 years from when we were referred by our GP to when we finally had our assessments.  I think it can vary dramatically from "there's basically no NHS provision" upwards depending on where you live.

If they're happy to see you sooner rather than later I wouldn't be too unhappy with that :-).

Children
  • im actually looking forward to a diagnosis it would explain so many things that have never made sense to me i like so many others that ive read on have always felt like a square peg forced into a round hole

im not sure what if anything will change if im diagnosed aspie or autistic but ive always liked labelling things so i can point to that when things don't work out the way i expect them to

• Good luck. I hope you get some answers that can make sense for you.  Coming to terms with things might not be easy but at least once you know what you're dealing with you can start working out what needs to change to make things better.

• i think ive waited about 5mths for my initial assessment i guess im lucky the centre is about 20mins away from me and definitely i will be only to happy to get an early diagnosis i guess i was expecting a long wait and it threw me a bit when he said that,..... maybe my other mental health problems and self harm are what he was concerned about thank you windscale for taking the time to answer so quickly