Looking for Support for Young Adults with Autism

Hi, I just joined this community hoping to see if anyone can help me? Blush I was diagnosed with Autism (Aspergers) in October 2017. My parents and I are struggling to find support for me on what I could do next. I have signed up for E-befriending but there aren’t many things for young adults. I really need the support.

Does anyone have any tips, links or guidence that could help me through this please? I really would like to be able to understand better and see what support is out there for me that could help me with employment, everyday life etc

Thanks for reading! Blush

Amy x

Parents
  • Hi! I am also a young adult living on the Wirral and facing similar issues finding an autism group for people that are my own age. This is my first post (just joined and it has taken me a few times to get this message to appear grrr).

I tried going to an art group at the mental health charity Mind, but everyone was older than me and not that sociable  (understandable given they probably have their own mental health struggles).

Maybe we need to start our own group? Ha ha. We can't be the only ones who want something like this. 

Lydia

• Hi, where in the Wirral do you live? If you don’t mind me asking?

lol Joy your probably right we do need to make our own group. It’s shocking how little support we adults get. I understand why children are a priority but adults need help too.

Hopefully we call all find a group of something to help us all x

• Prenton/Birkenhead area. You?

I might just make a group on Facebook to start with. I will try to do that later this evening.

I watched a Panorama programme last night about UK mental health services and the whole system is just crap. 

I hope we will too -x-

• Awe that is cool! I unfortunately went to Hilbre High School lol xD

I am 23 and I will be turning 24 in November! This year has flown by! Yeah, I just stick with Instagram and Twitter.

Yes, your niece is very lucky. I wish I was diagnosed when I was younger and then I wouldn't of had all this trouble x 

• I changed schools A LOT but I was at West Kirby girls the longest.

I am 25, I turn 26 next month! Facebook does seem to be dying off.

We really do. My niece was lucky enough to get diagnosed quite young so she gets extra help at school - her school has been really helpful.

-x-

• I changed schools A LOT but I was at West Kirby girls the longest.

I am 25, I turn 26 next month! Facebook does seem to be dying off.

We really do. My niece was lucky enough to get diagnosed quite young so she gets extra help at school - her school has been really helpful.

-x-

Children
  • Awe that is cool! I unfortunately went to Hilbre High School lol xD

I am 23 and I will be turning 24 in November! This year has flown by! Yeah, I just stick with Instagram and Twitter.

Yes, your niece is very lucky. I wish I was diagnosed when I was younger and then I wouldn't of had all this trouble x