Looking for Support for Young Adults with Autism

Hi, I just joined this community hoping to see if anyone can help me? Blush I was diagnosed with Autism (Aspergers) in October 2017. My parents and I are struggling to find support for me on what I could do next. I have signed up for E-befriending but there aren’t many things for young adults. I really need the support.

Does anyone have any tips, links or guidence that could help me through this please? I really would like to be able to understand better and see what support is out there for me that could help me with employment, everyday life etc

Thanks for reading! Blush

Amy x

Parents
  • Hi Amy - I'm new to the forum too but coming from a different 'direction'.  I run a small social enterprise/art gallery/coffee shop in a small town on the Welsh border.  We have two members of staff with Aspergers.  One does a mix of paid/voluntary work and the other one day volunteering and one day on sixth form work ex.  We have seen them both grow in confidence and are amazed at how they are coping in what can sometimes be a very busy (confusing?) situation.  And, of course, they are meeting people and making friends.

There must be other organisations out there like us. Perhaps you could contact your local chamber of trade or even Social Enterprise UK to see if they have any suggestions.

Best of luck.

• Thank you for replying to my post. I wish I lived near the welsh border, your organisation sounds really good and too see people grow in confidence and coping in very busy maybe confusing situations is amazing. It would be amazing to have the chance to do something like that.

I have looked at the Local Chamber of Trade and Social Enterprise UK and it's just too confusing to look through. What I am trying to find is a way I could make friends, maybe somewhere that can start me off on a path or career with animals. It's difficult with my age and now my autism but I hope I can find some thing soon.

Thanks again :) x

• Don't give in - I heard of someone local to us who was hoping to start a petting zoo for people with ASD!  There will be others out there.  Have you talked to your local vets or cattery, etc.  You may have to start as a volunteer shovelling poo but then we all have to start somewhere, don't we!

• I stopped the volunteering a while back but I am still looking for a way to either do an apprenticeship or something xx

Reply Children
No Data