Looking for Support for Young Adults with Autism

Hi, I just joined this community hoping to see if anyone can help me? Blush I was diagnosed with Autism (Aspergers) in October 2017. My parents and I are struggling to find support for me on what I could do next. I have signed up for E-befriending but there aren’t many things for young adults. I really need the support.

Does anyone have any tips, links or guidence that could help me through this please? I really would like to be able to understand better and see what support is out there for me that could help me with employment, everyday life etc

Thanks for reading! Blush

Amy x

Parents
  • Hello, welcome to the community! I totally understand the difficulties in finding local support and it’s no surprise that information can be hard to find (support services can be fractured and delivered by different organisations). I’ve found the following leaflet for post diagnosis in your area (I think), have a look and see what you think: http://www.cwp.nhs.uk/media/3491/asd-post-diagnosis-information-a-asdpdi-17-752.pdf 

Is this helpful?

• Hi, thank you for replying to my post and welcoming me into the community. I have looked at the leaflet and it is interesting I will have a look soon. I just hope I can find some sort of help that would help both me and my parents in this new diagnoses. It's all new to me, I just wished that the women we spoke to too just helped us more than throwing us to the side once she was done with us. But thank you for the link to the leaflet x

• Welcome to the forum, Amy.

As the previous poster said, getting no post-diagnosis follow up isn't unusual, sadly. I just got given a leaflet about the NAS and was advised to join the forum (which I'm very glad I did!). There was supposed to have been post-diagnosis counselling and occupational therapy, but neither have happened after four years. But, to be fair to them, the local autism unit is run by only two part-time clinical staff, and their back-log for assessments is getting on for two years (I know someone currently on the waiting list.)

I hope you find the support you're looking for. In the meantime, this is a fantastic place for getting better understanding; I hope you find it as rewarding as I have.

• Welcome to the forum, Amy.

As the previous poster said, getting no post-diagnosis follow up isn't unusual, sadly. I just got given a leaflet about the NAS and was advised to join the forum (which I'm very glad I did!). There was supposed to have been post-diagnosis counselling and occupational therapy, but neither have happened after four years. But, to be fair to them, the local autism unit is run by only two part-time clinical staff, and their back-log for assessments is getting on for two years (I know someone currently on the waiting list.)

I hope you find the support you're looking for. In the meantime, this is a fantastic place for getting better understanding; I hope you find it as rewarding as I have.

Children
  • Hi, thank you for replying to my post. And thank you for welcoming me into the forum. I understand that having a follow up isn't unusual, it's just difficult for some people to know what to do next. I think that they just think that adults can look after themselves so they just concentrate on children. I am very glad I have joined the forum too, having people comment on my post is really helping me know that I'm not the only one who is struggling after a diagnoses. I understand there struggle in trying to go through so many assessments and not being able to support people they have diagnosed. That's why i think the government should do more to help. 

I hope you find the support too, this is a fantastic place and I am really enjoying seeing people respond to my post x