What reasonable adjustments do people find they get?

Hi All,

I've just had a formal diagnosis of high functioning autism and along with it a list of potential recommendations from a professional to be discussed with my employer.  My employer has pretty much point blank refused things on this list or just ignored them entirely.  Some of them are obviously unreasonable for such a small company like having a quiet place to work but others like adjusting communication styles don't seem to be to me.  Essentially the only things I've had are passive things like being able to wear headphones and move desk.  I feel like the diagnosis has given me a bit of breathing space at work and stopped some of their offensive behaviour but things are far from me being supported and accommodated.

So realistically, what do people find they are able to get as reasonable accommodations at work and how did you get them?  Especially interested in any environments that are as close to small sized business software development as possible, i.e. limited resources and an office environment.

Thanks,

Craig

Parents
  • Well let's see, I got accepted for a Civil Service job, had a job offer from them, got refused reasonable adjustments. And yet the government wants disabled people to work as far as possible. Work that one out! LOL

• Well let's see, I got accepted for a Civil Service job, had a job offer from them, got refused reasonable adjustments. And yet the government wants disabled people to work as far as possible. Work that one out! LOL

Get the job.  Ask for an occupational health referral.  They will have a department that does that somewhere.  Then let that department deal with your boss and remind of his obligations under the disability act.

Get the job.  Ask for an occupational health referral.  They will have a department that does that somewhere.  Then let that department deal with your boss and remind of his obligations under the disability act.

Children
No Data