Processing emotions

Hello all 

I am writing a post on processing emotions today - just reaching out find out some techniques some use, good books to look into. I have non existence understanding of processing emotions. The only time I know I am feeling something is when I have tears, or I have an outburst, but then I still don’t know why.

Wishing you all well and hope to hear back from you!

Parents
  • I only know what my feelings were/are about a specific situations DAYS later. And then get stuck with that particular emotion for days, sometimes even years...

Don't know whether you finished writing your post, if so, let me know!

• I only know what my feelings were/are about a specific situations DAYS later. And then get stuck with that particular emotion for days, sometimes even years...

Don't know whether you finished writing your post, if so, let me know!

Children
  • I used to have that issue - sometimes even days later I wouldn't understand the emotions I'd been feeling at the time.

Since being diagnosed I'm a little closer to Evan's ability to realise I'm experiencing an emotion, analyse it, and now to an extent I can often choose how to let it effect me.

This is particularly the case with slower build emotions - frustration, distress at excessive noise, a general unease at extended social engagement. Because I can now spot those emotions growing I can both constrain their ability to cause a loss of control and also address the cause before they get too much.

I still can't tell what the hell is going on at times though, and sometimes I do just emotionally overload and misbehave. Embarrassing after the event but not under my control at the time.

• I'm quite liking this thread - it's got me thinking. I''ve often tried to self-analyse about emotions. I refer to myself as like Data - sort of nearly human but missing some vital part.

The more I think about it, I don't seem to have any way to describe my emotions - I feel anger when I'm overloaded and when people create problems for me for no reason - but I cannot really say I feel any other emotion - I live in a sort of 'meh' state of 'not angry' ( anger/ ) mimmicing NTs and some might say I appear 'happy' but I'm really just fitting in with how I measure the situation and then selecting 'mode 6 user interface = smile' to match my surroundings - like an octopus changing its colour scheme. There's no emotion linked to it.

Is this common?