Disgusted

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/adult-life/resources/asperger-united/new-name.aspx

If the folk at the NAS are so easily swayed by some whiny emoting from a tiny minority of folk that seek to deny history, I don't know that I can be bothered to read the thing any more. 

There was nothing wrong with the old name. It matched my diagnosis. 

To avoid a load of pointless arguing, no, I really don't care what Asperger did, or whether he ate peeled, salted babies for his breakfast. 

On a balance scale between logic and fact, versus the emotional burden of the entire human race throughout history, logic and facts must tip the scales every single time, or humanity is lost. 

Yes, some people won't like it. So what?

Parents
  • This name change is absolutely pathetic.

My mother thinks that the NAS is actually run as a business that goes round chasing public money, and is obsessed with political correctness, whilst providing only miserly crumbs to people where there is no public money allocated to them for services. The NAS responds to the minutest of whines and murmurs from the Jewish, Zionist, and Holocaust survivor communities like greased lightning whilst steadfastly refusing to even give an ounce of consideration to whoever is on the opposite side but instead lambasting them as anti-Semitic or even racist!

There was a case of a Muslim parent who was accused of anti-Semitism on very flimsy grounds. She said that the response from the NAS was so disproportionate that she had no choice but to leave. Whenever there is a conflict between Islamic interests and Jewish or Zionist interests then the policy of NAS management is that Jewish or Zionist interests win hands down. In her opinion the NAS management has a very poor knowledge of Islam and the complex geopolitical situation in the Middle East, and views Muslims simply in terms of race and skin colour (despite white Muslims existing) in exactly the same way as they view non-Muslim black people.

Changing the name of Asperger United raises a bigger question - is the NAS proposing on completely eliminating and obliterating Hans Asperger's name from its website and all of it's publications? In a similar way that you cannot have Christianity without Jesus, you cannot have Asperger Syndrome – no matter what it is called – without Hans Asperger.

The fact that Herwig Czech (who is an historian, not a psychiatrist) has attacked Uta Frith whilst clearly knowing that she did not have the entire career history of Hans Asperger back in 1990 makes one wonder exactly who will (be expected to) carry the standard for Asperger syndrome in the near future – if anybody.

• My mother thinks that the NAS is actually run as a business that goes round chasing public money

It's mostly a service provider, so in a sense yes.

obsessed with political correctness

"Political correctness" was an ironic term back in the 1960s. I'm not sure it means much nowadays different from 'politeness'.

whilst providing only miserly crumbs to people where there is no public money allocated to them for services

I expect that's the nature of the contracts. The money's to be used for schools or whatever. The charitable side seems less well resourced (and possibly less well managed? I'm not sure).

The NAS responds to the minutest of whines and murmurs from the Jewish, Zionist, and Holocaust survivor communities like greased lightning

As should be clear from recent news those three groups are distinct from each other. Most relevant to the case of Asperger is knowing that extermination began with (edit) disabled people, before moving on to Jews and Sinti and Roma.

Whenever there is a conflict between Islamic interests and Jewish or Zionist interests then the policy of NAS management is that Jewish or Zionist interests win hands down.

I rather doubt there is such a policy.

is the NAS proposing on completely eliminating and obliterating Hans Asperger's name from its website and all of it's publications?

You'd have to ask them (someone probably will), but I doubt any rewrites would be 'complete' in eliminating AS as many people will keep an AS diagnosis for decades. I don't know where NAS currently mentions Hans Asperger as a historical figure.

you cannot have Asperger Syndrome – no matter what it is called – without Hans Asperger

I do not understand what you are saying here. If AS is a real thing, then it was discovered by Asperger, not invented by him. He circumscribed and classified certain parts of human diversity (according to criteria that you can either think of as arbitrary or what was useful to the Reich), but the diversity preceded him.

I don't understand this attachment to Asperger. He was a psychiatrist. He was a useless fucking shitbag who abused and harmed people in his care. Leo Kanner was also a psychiatrist and a useless fucking shitbag who abused and harmed people in his care. You may notice a pattern here, a tradition that psychiatrists have continued to this day, by being useless fucking shitbags who abuse and harm many of the people in their care (edit: in so far as they are not constrained by law),

The fact that Herwig Czech (who is an historian, not a psychiatrist) has attacked Uta Frith whilst clearly knowing that she did not have the entire career history of Hans Asperger back in 1990

I'm pretty sure Czech acknowledged people did not know his discoveries in 1990, so I think we agree there. Do you have a reference for the attack on Frith?

• My mother thinks that the NAS is actually run as a business that goes round chasing public money

It's mostly a service provider, so in a sense yes.

obsessed with political correctness

"Political correctness" was an ironic term back in the 1960s. I'm not sure it means much nowadays different from 'politeness'.

whilst providing only miserly crumbs to people where there is no public money allocated to them for services

I expect that's the nature of the contracts. The money's to be used for schools or whatever. The charitable side seems less well resourced (and possibly less well managed? I'm not sure).

The NAS responds to the minutest of whines and murmurs from the Jewish, Zionist, and Holocaust survivor communities like greased lightning

As should be clear from recent news those three groups are distinct from each other. Most relevant to the case of Asperger is knowing that extermination began with (edit) disabled people, before moving on to Jews and Sinti and Roma.

Whenever there is a conflict between Islamic interests and Jewish or Zionist interests then the policy of NAS management is that Jewish or Zionist interests win hands down.

I rather doubt there is such a policy.

is the NAS proposing on completely eliminating and obliterating Hans Asperger's name from its website and all of it's publications?

You'd have to ask them (someone probably will), but I doubt any rewrites would be 'complete' in eliminating AS as many people will keep an AS diagnosis for decades. I don't know where NAS currently mentions Hans Asperger as a historical figure.

you cannot have Asperger Syndrome – no matter what it is called – without Hans Asperger

I do not understand what you are saying here. If AS is a real thing, then it was discovered by Asperger, not invented by him. He circumscribed and classified certain parts of human diversity (according to criteria that you can either think of as arbitrary or what was useful to the Reich), but the diversity preceded him.

I don't understand this attachment to Asperger. He was a psychiatrist. He was a useless fucking shitbag who abused and harmed people in his care. Leo Kanner was also a psychiatrist and a useless fucking shitbag who abused and harmed people in his care. You may notice a pattern here, a tradition that psychiatrists have continued to this day, by being useless fucking shitbags who abuse and harm many of the people in their care (edit: in so far as they are not constrained by law),

The fact that Herwig Czech (who is an historian, not a psychiatrist) has attacked Uta Frith whilst clearly knowing that she did not have the entire career history of Hans Asperger back in 1990

I'm pretty sure Czech acknowledged people did not know his discoveries in 1990, so I think we agree there. Do you have a reference for the attack on Frith?

Children