Disgusted

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/adult-life/resources/asperger-united/new-name.aspx

If the folk at the NAS are so easily swayed by some whiny emoting from a tiny minority of folk that seek to deny history, I don't know that I can be bothered to read the thing any more. 

There was nothing wrong with the old name. It matched my diagnosis. 

To avoid a load of pointless arguing, no, I really don't care what Asperger did, or whether he ate peeled, salted babies for his breakfast. 

On a balance scale between logic and fact, versus the emotional burden of the entire human race throughout history, logic and facts must tip the scales every single time, or humanity is lost. 

Yes, some people won't like it. So what?

Parents
  • Ok well I had no idea why Aspergers was given the name it has, I do understand from my own perspective what it is to me.

I tell people I am autistic first and before they start looking me over I tell them I am Aspergers! Although most have no idea what it is I did have a medical professional say “oh we covered autism and you Aspergers are the super clever ones”, I bit my tongue and kept quite.

I am not high functioning in a way that would see me as super clever in any way whatsoever ever, but I do struggle in all respects of having autism.

so I appear normal but do not Fit!

All forms of repetitive stimming  that were visible as a child  I hid or managed to stop.. mostly due to teasing and on one occasion was seen and verbally abused as being dumb and mental.

To go back to the name Aspergers, it has been around a long time and hardly any one would connect it to the man who termed and discovered it.

PLEASE DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU ARE EASILY UPSET !

MY STORY CONTAINS FACTS WHICH TO THIS DAY STILL CAUSE ME GREAT UPSET!

As a child of the sixties we covered both world war 1 and 2, we were shown the harrowing film footage of concentration camps. One point that hit me very deeply was how they carried out medical research on the Jewish . 

When the concentration camps were finally liberated vast documents were found which very clearly documented all the barbaric research carried out, one that sticks in my mind is break a bone then allow it to heal then break it again,,to see how often it will join back together. These individuals were kept fed enough to live through it,

My point is a decision was made to destroy it all as it was so awful, then when given more thought it was thought it better that all the many people who suffered were not forgotten and that all the facts although gained through evil and barbaric acts were not lost, they should be remembered for advancing medical knowledge. 

So a huge jump in understanding was made by the suffering of others, 

Should we then stop practicing any medical treatment that was only advanced this way?

They paid the biggest price, not through choice but they should never be forgotten,

sorry if any of this upsets anyone, it is fact and I feel pertinent to a name only, not the man himself.

• Seems I may have been told lies when I was a child. I just checked Wikipedia and stand corrected, here is an excerpt from the article.

Modern ethical issues

Frederik Pohl said in a 1963 editorial in Galaxy Science Fiction that despite their cruelty the Nazi experiments produced no useful results; "it was not science and it was not medicine". If the "Herr Doktors" had, he wrote, murdered pregnant women to study their ovaries the crimes would have advanced embryology, but the earliest stages of prenatal developmentwere first observed in Boston in 1942 "without either torture or killing".[53]

The results of the Dachau freezing experiments have been used in some modern research into the treatment of hypothermia, with at least 45 publications having referenced the experiments since the Second World War.[14] This, together with the recent use of data from Nazi research into the effects of phosgene gas, has proven controversial and presents an ethical dilemma for modern physicians who do not agree with the methods used to obtain this data.[31] Some object on an ethical basis, and others have rejected Nazi research purely on scientific grounds, pointing out methodological inconsistencies. In an often-cited review of the Dachau hypothermia experiments, Berger states that the study has "all the ingredients of a scientific fraud" and that the data "cannot advance science or save human lives."[14]

Controversy has also risen from the use of results of biological warfare testing done by the Imperial Japanese Army's Unit 731.[54] The results from Unit 731 were kept classified by the United States until the majority of doctors involved were given pardons.[55]

We were told the research was used to advance medical knowledge?

Maybe as children they wanted to tell us about the atrocities but did not want us to believe it was all in Vein . I am sorry I should have checked my facts beforehand.

• Seems I may have been told lies when I was a child. I just checked Wikipedia and stand corrected, here is an excerpt from the article.

Modern ethical issues

Frederik Pohl said in a 1963 editorial in Galaxy Science Fiction that despite their cruelty the Nazi experiments produced no useful results; "it was not science and it was not medicine". If the "Herr Doktors" had, he wrote, murdered pregnant women to study their ovaries the crimes would have advanced embryology, but the earliest stages of prenatal developmentwere first observed in Boston in 1942 "without either torture or killing".[53]

The results of the Dachau freezing experiments have been used in some modern research into the treatment of hypothermia, with at least 45 publications having referenced the experiments since the Second World War.[14] This, together with the recent use of data from Nazi research into the effects of phosgene gas, has proven controversial and presents an ethical dilemma for modern physicians who do not agree with the methods used to obtain this data.[31] Some object on an ethical basis, and others have rejected Nazi research purely on scientific grounds, pointing out methodological inconsistencies. In an often-cited review of the Dachau hypothermia experiments, Berger states that the study has "all the ingredients of a scientific fraud" and that the data "cannot advance science or save human lives."[14]

Controversy has also risen from the use of results of biological warfare testing done by the Imperial Japanese Army's Unit 731.[54] The results from Unit 731 were kept classified by the United States until the majority of doctors involved were given pardons.[55]

We were told the research was used to advance medical knowledge?

Maybe as children they wanted to tell us about the atrocities but did not want us to believe it was all in Vein . I am sorry I should have checked my facts beforehand.

Children
  • Controversy has also risen from the use of results of biological warfare testing done by the Imperial Japanese Army's Unit 731.[54] The results from Unit 731 were kept classified by the United States until the majority of doctors involved were given pardons.

I remember mentioning Unit 731 in a post before on an old thread about this. Their experiments on pressure and temperature extremes were worse than the Dachau experiments. They used decompression chambers to pioneer modern diving methods at any cost to the subjects. I'll just quote myself because you jogged my memory and there are more pressing things in my old post. Thanks LW!

Loathe to quote myself but I can't be bothered to type it all out again!

"The whole affair is troublesome to say the least. As someone with Jewish heritage I'd have had 2 reasons to worry. Looking at the whole picture though what would have happened if Asperger didn't do the research. I feel for the children that were euthanised. One problem I do have with this piece is that because of Czech's paper Asperger's work might be buried due to the moral dilemmas this may raise in academia.

I'm really not surprised by it though. The Nazi's performed hysterectomys and *** reductions routinely for cruelty and research. They use the techniques today that were born out of those horrors. They basically went wild with research because of the excuses the ideology gave them. I don't see any stigma being implied to people who have these procedures or any mention of the Nazi's that did them. Why should Asperger's be any different? The answer for me is controversy.

The Japanese were terrible too. Unit 731 was a Japanese unit that did medical experimentaton and biological weapons experimentation on large numbers of people in WW2. Their "inventions" killed half a million. The medical techniques they discovered are used today and the biological weapons were of great interest to the allies. The Americans granted many Unit 731 members immunity. Many went on to practice medicine and some carried on the research in allied nations. This bothers me greatly. Asperger gets highlighted (and rightfully so) but people who did experiments on live subjects (I won't detail them here because they are very, very, extreme) and created devastating biological weapons (which were continued to be developed) are never mentioned. The Soviets went after them as criminals but the Americans rolled out the red carpet for them. They also did this for Nazi's they deemed useful.

There have been eugenics issues for Autistic people far more recently. In nations that never get criticized or mentioned. Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark had programs up until the late 70's. The mentally ill, people with PDD's such as Autism, and lots of other "burden's to society". It's never mentioned. These countries should be dragged over the coals. We knew the Nazi's were pieces of *** but why should they get away with it.

https://muse.jhu.edu/article/225135

Sweden started in 1906 and didn't stop until 1975.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_sterilisation_in_Sweden?wprov=sfla1

Even more recently Belgium have been allowing people with Autism to "euthanise" themselves. Also people with depression, schizophrenia, and other mental illnesses. They should be helping people deal with their problems. Maybe they are considered "a burden to society". That's a phrase from facist ideology.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/europes-morality-crisis-euthanizing-the-mentally-ill/2016/10/19/c75faaca-961c-11e6-bc79-af1cd3d2984b_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b31509b04502

There are injustices going on right now that are just as bad as Nazi Germany. You won't find them being reported on. We need to stay vigilant." - Some *** who posts here

There are more pressing issues than a name change.