Lisbeth Salander, the portrayal of aspergers in the Millenium trilogy by Steig Larsson

Has anyone read these books? I have got them at home and plan to read them soon. Good to see a woman with Aspergers in a work of fiction.

Parents
  • I've not read the books, not seen the films, however, I have read around on this subject and it's not clear that she does have Asperger's.

As I understand it, it is thought she does by some of the characters, at several points.

But that's it.

It's never explicitly stated.

Other than that, the idea that she has Asperger's comes from people, many of whom will be neurotypical, reading the books, taking the characteristics she displays, and sticking a label of Asperger's on her.

But the characteristics she displays could easily suggest sociopathy.

It's really only the stereotypical Asperger's characteristics (e.g. the eidetic memory, and being a hacker) that people base that conclusion on.

Also, whether Stieg Larsson intended her to be a character with Asperger's is unclear, and he's dead now, so can't be asked.

• Stieg Larsson, within the Milennium Trilogy, wrote characters that believe Lisbeth Salander has Asperger's Syndrome. It's in their thoughts and what they say.

Excerpt, p. 367 “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo”;

Michael Blomkvist:

Asperger’s syndrome, he thought. Or something like that. A talent for seeing patterns and understanding abstract reasoning where other people perceive only white noise.

Excerpt, p. 414 “The Girl Who Played with Fire”;

Holger Palmgren:

“She has an extremely hard time relating to other people. I thought she had Asperger’s syndrome or something like it. If you read the clinical descriptions of patients diagnosed with Asperger’s, there are things that seem to fit Lisbeth very well, but there are just as many symptoms that don’t apply at all. Mind you, she’s not the least bit dangerous to people who leave her in peace and treat her with respect. But she is violent, without a doubt,” said Palmgren in a low voice. “If she’s provoked or threatened, she can strike back with appalling violence.”

Excerpt, p. 167 “The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest”;

Dr. Anders Jonasson:

Jonasson looked intently at Dr. Teleborian for ten seconds before he said: “I won’t argue a diagnosis with you, Dr. Teleborian, but have you ever considered a significantly simpler diagnosis?”

“Such as?”

“For example, Asperger’s syndrome. Of course, I haven’t done a psychiatric evaluation of her, but if I had to hazard a guess, I would consider some form of autism. That would explain her inability to relate to social conventions.”

• Stieg Larsson, within the Milennium Trilogy, wrote characters that believe Lisbeth Salander has Asperger's Syndrome. It's in their thoughts and what they say.

Excerpt, p. 367 “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo”;

Michael Blomkvist:

Asperger’s syndrome, he thought. Or something like that. A talent for seeing patterns and understanding abstract reasoning where other people perceive only white noise.

Excerpt, p. 414 “The Girl Who Played with Fire”;

Holger Palmgren:

“She has an extremely hard time relating to other people. I thought she had Asperger’s syndrome or something like it. If you read the clinical descriptions of patients diagnosed with Asperger’s, there are things that seem to fit Lisbeth very well, but there are just as many symptoms that don’t apply at all. Mind you, she’s not the least bit dangerous to people who leave her in peace and treat her with respect. But she is violent, without a doubt,” said Palmgren in a low voice. “If she’s provoked or threatened, she can strike back with appalling violence.”

Excerpt, p. 167 “The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest”;

Dr. Anders Jonasson:

Jonasson looked intently at Dr. Teleborian for ten seconds before he said: “I won’t argue a diagnosis with you, Dr. Teleborian, but have you ever considered a significantly simpler diagnosis?”

“Such as?”

“For example, Asperger’s syndrome. Of course, I haven’t done a psychiatric evaluation of her, but if I had to hazard a guess, I would consider some form of autism. That would explain her inability to relate to social conventions.”

Children
No Data