Library Etiquette

I always use the self service machines when I'm borrowing or returning books. If there is a member of the library staff free at the desk when I use the machines they will tut at me. Is that an unwritten rule of the library? If the librarian is free borrow your books at the desk? Life is so complicated. I find I have to wait till the librarian is busy with another customer before I use the machines or sometimes I just return home bookless and exhausted.

Parents
  • I don't understand this behaviour.  In my experience, library staff prefer people to use the self-service machines, because it means they don't get interrupted from any other jobs they might be doing.  Quite a few library staff that I know, too, are the kind of people I'd judge to be on the spectrum!  At my local library, there are two female staff members who don't make eye contact or even look up at the person they're dealing with.  I did some voluntary work there once, and most of the staff said they preferred the 'downstairs' duties (mainly clerical and computer-based, plus repairing book jackets, cataloguing, etc) because it took them off of the public desk and meant they could be working alone.  The job has always appealed to me in that respect and I've had many interviews over the years - but never managed to get a job.

• I don't understand this behaviour.  In my experience, library staff prefer people to use the self-service machines, because it means they don't get interrupted from any other jobs they might be doing.  Quite a few library staff that I know, too, are the kind of people I'd judge to be on the spectrum!  At my local library, there are two female staff members who don't make eye contact or even look up at the person they're dealing with.  I did some voluntary work there once, and most of the staff said they preferred the 'downstairs' duties (mainly clerical and computer-based, plus repairing book jackets, cataloguing, etc) because it took them off of the public desk and meant they could be working alone.  The job has always appealed to me in that respect and I've had many interviews over the years - but never managed to get a job.

Children
No Data