My adult son still blames me

HI,

My 27 year old son who has Aspergers still blames me (and my husband) for the past mistakes made when he was growing up. This was before he was diagnosed (he was diagnosed quite late) and to certain extent afterwards while we were still adjusting to it. He keeps watching videos on FB where all those 'perfect' parents and psychologists talk about flexibility, inclusion and what needs to happen in supporting people with autism, all nicely presented and wrapped in loveliness ... and he keeps referring to times many years ago when I sometimes have lost tho plot or when I didn't know how to deal with the situation. Even though years have passed and we have really good relationship, when this particular topic comes up he gets really vicious and calls me names for things that happened in the past. I did try to explain why and how things happened and that we didn't know etc etc, but he is having none of it.This is really hurtful and I do take it. But it really pains me that this is still happening.

Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any advice?

• Counselling can not fix a neurological issue. Also people with Asperger's have a smaller corpus callosum than NT's, this makes it more difficult for us to process trauma, as you need to be able to move traumatic memories from one hemisphere to the other to properly process them. This is a super fun condition to have. Parents should acknowledge the mistake they made in bringing children into a situation where there is a shortage of doctors. Drs have known about Asperger's for years, it was put into the DSM in 1987. The public have also known abut the shortage of Doctors for years too. Parents should admit that it is a mistake to bring children into such a situation, unless they are very rich and can get the resources they need. This would do more to improve the relationship than just expecting a stranger to somehow fix the problem. There can be no improvement in the relationship until the parents acknowledge their own part they played in allowing such a situation to happen. The parent is the creator, ultimately they are responsible for the situation, not a therapist.

• Sometimes it feels like parents are overly keen to believe they have a 'bad' child when the child is displaying sensory differences. 

Almost like they are a martyr and someone has forced them to have a child against their will. It felt like I was never allowed to have my on tastes and preferences. And I was some kind of monster for wanting this. I can't understand why no one thought that neurodiversity couldn't exist, after all the brain is a physical entity just like the rest of the body, there is variance amongst other areas of the body between people, why not the brain too? This was obvious to me back in the 90s when i was a child. It seems to me like parents do not properly understand biology and where expecting the child to be a clone of themselves. If you didn't behave like my parents did with your son, then fair enough. Your son was probably very depressed as a child, hence where a lot of the anger is coming from. I was suicidaly depressed from a young age. It is horrible to constantly be told you are bad, and the sensory overwhelm is a nightmare. Life is pretty horrible for people with Asperger's, we have a disability, yet are often denied disability payments or any medical help. Suicide was high amongst people with Asperger's, but now they have taken away all of the nice methods of doing it now. Euthanasia is legal for people with Asperger's in The Netherlands and Belgium. That's how much of a disability Asperger's really is. But there is NO acknowledgement about the issues that we face. I was assessed for disability by a nurse not a Neuroscientist or a Psychiatrist over the phone, not even face to face. How can such an assessment be an accurate assessment of someone's capability to work? How can a nurse be qualified to assess a Neurological condition? This is the reality people with Asperger's face. Maybe try reading some posts on reddit about Asperger's and depression, and you will understand more the depth of despair many of us feel. I often wonder why, when there is information all over the news, and has been for years about the crisis in the NHS  why people who are not rich still feel it is a good idea to bring children into such a situation like this. It is really not fair on the children, and I wish more parents would seriously consider the idea that their child might not be healthy and need help, but not have access to it. When you think about it like this, you can see why your son might be angry. Asperger's was put into the DSM as far back as 1987, if there were more physiatrists  we could have been diagnosed much earlier on. It feels like everyone is against us and they just patronises us, and that no one really cares. Maybe you should apologise to your son, instead of saying 'we just didn't know' , and 'that no one knew' back then about Asperger's, because some people did know about it, and admit that it is probably a mistake to procreate unless you are rich and can afford to take your child to a private psychiatrist. This may help to lessen our son's anger towards you, I know I would like to hear this from my parents, and I would feel a whole lot less angry at them if they said this to me. 

#

• Dear NAS38714

I am posting the link for the NAS helpline just in case you may want to talk? You may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice . You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor. Alternatively, should you prefer to send a message, you can do so via their webform:

https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/questions.aspx

Hope this helps,

Nicky-Mod

• I have been through this. I have Asperger's Syndrome. I was only diagnosed three years ago, at the age of 31. I get frustrated with having the condition and with struggling to get support, and because I wish that I had been diagnosed and had more support as a child. I have taken it out on my parents too. It must be very difficult for them seeing me having panic attacks, overloads and meltdowns. I find it difficult to calm down from them too. 

• Hi there,

It's clear that he's still naive to how parenting works. The truth is, no one is perfect at parenting, but most people do their very best to bring up their children, and that's all anyone can do. It's easy to point fingers when you haven't done it yourself, but once he matures and starts looking after children, he'll come to his senses x

Much love <3

• Thank you very much for taking time to respond. 

Your response is spot on! He is still feeling very resentful and is struggling to accept his diagnosis. 

I have been trying to encourage him to think bout counselling and seeking support but without success. I have to be careful how and when I approach that topic as he is quite dismissive.

Your point about difficulty with time is so so true for him. 

Like your Mum, I feel guilty every single day thinking why didn’t I spot this, why didn’t I do that, why didn’t I try this.... it goes on and on.  It is extremely hard but we have to live with it and make it better now and in the future.

thank you again. Your post did help get some clarity and also some perspective from your point of view.

• Sorry to hear that, I can understand how that must be very upsetting. I don't think I can help you directly - in fact, I have rather the opposite problem, that my Mum often feels guilty about my upbringing despite me being confident that she did an excellent job under the circumstances (I was diagnosed will into my forties.) However, I had a couple of thoughts from the perspective of an autistic adult which may be useful to you.

Firstly, for some of us, at least some of the time, ruminating about "what could have been" can be rather a problem. Even though my diagnosis was a few years ago, I still find myself looking back over my life examining everything with the benefit of hindsight. Having difficulties with things which other people around us seem to find so simple can be extremely frustrating and damaging to our self-esteem, so losing ourselves in fantasies about what might have been can be extremely tempting, and our tendency to focus very intently on narrow interests can make this very hard to stop once we've got into a habit of doing it.

We can often have difficulty with time, too. Not just measuring the passage of time, but also understanding that the world was, or will be, different in the past or future. If something is a fact right now, we can easily misinterpret the past as if everyone knew that fact back then. People used to behaved differently because the facts that they knew were different, but we can easily miss this, because just getting our heads around people's behaviour in the here and now can be hard enough; our "rules" for interpreting people may just not be flexible or well developed enough.

If your son is at all receptive, I would encourage him to take up some kind of counselling or join a support group (maybe online like this one, but where he engages rather than passively watches). The kind of fantasising that he's engaging in could well be stopping him from moving forward with new ways to cope with his difficulties, and can reinforce the idea that everything can be blamed on damage done in the past, so that he no longer feels responsible for things which he is able to change in the present. This is not good for a person's self-esteem, and it can form a kind of "learned helplessness"; anxiety and depression are also common consequences, as are the kind of defensive reactions that you're getting to the subject. In the long run, helping him to come to terms with his diagnosis and his autistic traits will be of most benefit to him, and in due course should enable him to get a clearer picture of his chlldhood.