My adult son still blames me

HI,

My 27 year old son who has Aspergers still blames me (and my husband) for the past mistakes made when he was growing up. This was before he was diagnosed (he was diagnosed quite late) and to certain extent afterwards while we were still adjusting to it. He keeps watching videos on FB where all those 'perfect' parents and psychologists talk about flexibility, inclusion and what needs to happen in supporting people with autism, all nicely presented and wrapped in loveliness ... and he keeps referring to times many years ago when I sometimes have lost tho plot or when I didn't know how to deal with the situation. Even though years have passed and we have really good relationship, when this particular topic comes up he gets really vicious and calls me names for things that happened in the past. I did try to explain why and how things happened and that we didn't know etc etc, but he is having none of it.This is really hurtful and I do take it. But it really pains me that this is still happening.

Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any advice?

Parents
  • Dear NAS38714

I am posting the link for the NAS helpline just in case you may want to talk? You may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice . You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor. Alternatively, should you prefer to send a message, you can do so via their webform:

https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/questions.aspx

Hope this helps,

Nicky-Mod

• Dear NAS38714

I am posting the link for the NAS helpline just in case you may want to talk? You may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice . You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor. Alternatively, should you prefer to send a message, you can do so via their webform:

https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/questions.aspx

Hope this helps,

Nicky-Mod

Children
No Data