Diagnosis experience and coping strategies for obsessions

I am a 30 year old girl and I am considering taking an autism test. I have some questions: 

i) What is it like to be diagnosed later in life? 

ii) What kind of diagnosis tests exist? I have read about the disco test on this site however there is not that much information about it. Is there other types of autism tests which I should also read about? 

iii) What are coping strategies for obsessional thoughts? I have reached a stage in life where I need a holiday from my obsessions, as it is very difficult to stop my mind from constantly looping over things. I see obsessional thinking as a double edged sword - it can really help me when I am doing constructive things, however, it can also be a burden emotionally, especially when the obsession is directed towards a person. 

Thank you in advance for sharing any feedback.  

Parents
  • https://www.autism.org.uk/About-autism/All-about-diagnosis/Diagnosis-information-for-adults.aspx

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/adults/after.aspx

...if you are a"30 year old", then you are no longer a "girl"... you are a WOMAN. (We all have to face up to such facts, and that is that!) 

This is what I usually write: Getting an Autism Diagnosis is not easy, and can take a few years to gain (yes -YEARS)... and so if you have the chance, then do go for it. Gaining a diagosis means that you will have access to certain extra services in LAW.

• Lol yes I should have said woman.. I am used to talking about "girls" and "boys" when in general social conversation so that is why I said that here :) 

Thanks for sending these links: the info is really vague, there is no detail about what is done in these tests - I am considering going private to not go from pillar to post. As there is so much snake oil out there I want to try to ask about first hand experiences on forums, as well as doing research. 

I will research and ask on Reddit too. Are there any other forums I should check out?  

• Good morning. I was diagnosed in middle age by an NHS clinic. I was actually a bit sceptical of the positive diagnosis, as it was based on subjective impressions, most by a psychiatrist. However, just the label explains certain things, and may stop me over-analysing past behaviour. The downside is lack of serious post-diagnostic support; part of the problem for me is that it's hard to explain the problem, and no one really seems to know how to help. On the other hand, there are a few voluntary groups where autistic people help each other.

ii) What kind of diagnosis tests exist? I have read about the disco test on this site however there is not that much information about it. Is there other types of autism tests which I should also read about? 

Besides DISCO, there is the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (version 2, which I had, and is most recognised among researchers), and the Autism Diagnostic Interview. Not every diagnosis uses such a structured activity. For more detail see NICE clinical guideline 142, section 1.2.8.

You are not expected to prepare for any of these tests, and it's assumed and probably preferable that you don't.

What are coping strategies for obsessional thoughts?

As you say, at some points they can be an advantage, so you may want to accept your tendency to them. I  wouldn't say this was one of the big problems for me, but suppose a distracting activity can help. Variety, thinking about the bigger picture... For obsession towards a person particularly, maybe recognise what need the obsession fulfils for you, and see if there's an alternative.

Are there any other forums I should check out?

This is the main UK one I'm aware of. Outside the UK, Wrong Planet is popular for international aspies.

By the way, you may want to change your username from the default NAS3nnnn, and possibly your profile picture too (partly it helps people to know you're not a bot). To do this, click on the round button up the top right of the page, then 'Profile', then 'Edit profile'.

• I think it was the wake-induced lucid dreaming that did it, but I can't be sure as I started learning the wake-induced kind very soon after learning to use dream control spontaneously whilst asleep. 

I'm almost certain that the creepy malevolent characters were simply a failure at fully suppressing whatever part of my subconscious usually made the nightmares. Disappointed

I am ridiculously prone to nightmares and according to my mum I have been describing them since I learned to talk (and as a small child had a very difficult time distinguishing them from reality- I would often get really upset at her for things 'she' had done in my dreams, also at preschool age I made my dad rearrange my bedroom every month or so IRL because of dreams about an eye that would appear on whatever bit of furniture was closest to my bed and just stare at me. I thought moving the furniture around might confuse it into leaving). 

I have also had hypnogogia from a very early age. With hindsight my sleep/wake cycle has always been blurred at the edges and I deliberately blurred it further, so I'm not surprised it didn't sit well with me. Sweat smile

• I think it was the wake-induced lucid dreaming that did it, but I can't be sure as I started learning the wake-induced kind very soon after learning to use dream control spontaneously whilst asleep. 

I'm almost certain that the creepy malevolent characters were simply a failure at fully suppressing whatever part of my subconscious usually made the nightmares. Disappointed

I am ridiculously prone to nightmares and according to my mum I have been describing them since I learned to talk (and as a small child had a very difficult time distinguishing them from reality- I would often get really upset at her for things 'she' had done in my dreams, also at preschool age I made my dad rearrange my bedroom every month or so IRL because of dreams about an eye that would appear on whatever bit of furniture was closest to my bed and just stare at me. I thought moving the furniture around might confuse it into leaving). 

I have also had hypnogogia from a very early age. With hindsight my sleep/wake cycle has always been blurred at the edges and I deliberately blurred it further, so I'm not surprised it didn't sit well with me. Sweat smile

Children
No Data