Moving away from stereotypes

I can't stand stereotypes and do not wish to be defined by my condition. I would rather people saw me as an individual with strengths and weaknesses, some of which can be explained by me having Asperger's syndrome, rather than defining me by a label. This is why I can't stand the word 'aspie'. While having Aspergers is an important part of my identity, it is no more important than me being female, no more important than my sexuality or my age.  I would hate it if someone did not see past me being a woman or past my age, why is having aspergers any different? The disability movement campaigned for disability to be seen not as an individual affliction or difference, to move beyond individualising disability and to see it as a societal problem: people with disabilities should campaign collectively to change society, making it imperative to see the person before the disability. I am a person with asperger's syndrome, not an aspie. I share traits that other people with AS may have,  but I don't share all the traits, just enough to have aspergers. We are all different, to say I am an aspie suggests conformity with other  'aspies' and obliterates the part of me that defies easy categorization.

Parents
  • Hope said:

'Clearly demonstrate hard wired psychological differences'. Do they really? According to whom? Some biased researcher asks biased questions about what it means to be man or women, and then confuses effect with cause.

No, researchers using MRI scanner to show real physical differences between the brains of males, on average, and females, on average.

Brain science is no longer about asking questions and philosophising about what the answers you get might mean.

Science can now see the brain, how it's being used, as it's being used, in detail, in living, breathing, human beings, and, from that data, deduce the real physical differences between one brain and another, or one group of brains and another.

Hope said:

''Don't confuse what you like with what is true'' - I can say the same about your argument

You can say it, but my arguments are not based on my emotional response to the evidence, they're based on logical deductions from that evidence.

Hope said:
    Also, what is 'true' may be wrong!

When I write 'true' I mean absolute, not subjective, truth.

Hope said:
    What do you mean by 'worthless'?.

That we, and all things, have no intrinsic worth. Matter has no true value. Worth and value are subjective human constructs imposed onto indifferent matter.

Hope said:

Your other argument about differences between men and women not necessarily being a bad thing reminds me of the 'different but equal' line that American segregationists put forward, upholding 'different' but apparently 'equal' treatment for African-Americans. Sure, this is an extreme example and does not parallel the discrimination against women in today's society, but the logic is the same.

Ah, yes, and next you'll be telling me I'm no better than Hitler.

Good way to argue that. (that's sarcasm, btw)

And, I said you're reacting emotionally because you are - you're presenting an argument based on the world as you would like it to be, not as it is.

• Hope said:

'Clearly demonstrate hard wired psychological differences'. Do they really? According to whom? Some biased researcher asks biased questions about what it means to be man or women, and then confuses effect with cause.

No, researchers using MRI scanner to show real physical differences between the brains of males, on average, and females, on average.

Brain science is no longer about asking questions and philosophising about what the answers you get might mean.

Science can now see the brain, how it's being used, as it's being used, in detail, in living, breathing, human beings, and, from that data, deduce the real physical differences between one brain and another, or one group of brains and another.

Hope said:

''Don't confuse what you like with what is true'' - I can say the same about your argument

You can say it, but my arguments are not based on my emotional response to the evidence, they're based on logical deductions from that evidence.

Hope said:
    Also, what is 'true' may be wrong!

When I write 'true' I mean absolute, not subjective, truth.

Hope said:
    What do you mean by 'worthless'?.

That we, and all things, have no intrinsic worth. Matter has no true value. Worth and value are subjective human constructs imposed onto indifferent matter.

Hope said:

Your other argument about differences between men and women not necessarily being a bad thing reminds me of the 'different but equal' line that American segregationists put forward, upholding 'different' but apparently 'equal' treatment for African-Americans. Sure, this is an extreme example and does not parallel the discrimination against women in today's society, but the logic is the same.

Ah, yes, and next you'll be telling me I'm no better than Hitler.

Good way to argue that. (that's sarcasm, btw)

And, I said you're reacting emotionally because you are - you're presenting an argument based on the world as you would like it to be, not as it is.

Children
No Data