Are things JUST different?

Hello All. 

I was told by my wife today that things are not more difficult for me they are just different... I think word “just” hurt a bit. I agree that “differences” it is better description than illness etc. But aren’t differences more challenging in mainstream society or NT family ? 

I’m curious what you think. Thanks. 

Parents
  • Yes, I agree the word JUST can sound like trivialisation. But I think people use the word JUST too liberally, perhaps with no meaning attached. Only your wife could explain what she meant. It IS difficult being different. It IS difficult adapting, but one must. As like a man born with one arm, we work with what we have. We be our best version of ourselves. Your wife was probably trying to encourage you, and she is invaluable. She too has had to adapt to being married, as with any couple. You can bring out the best in each other. Even if you find communication hard, communicate between yourselves. Nurture that companionship. 

• Yes, I agree the word JUST can sound like trivialisation. But I think people use the word JUST too liberally, perhaps with no meaning attached. Only your wife could explain what she meant. It IS difficult being different. It IS difficult adapting, but one must. As like a man born with one arm, we work with what we have. We be our best version of ourselves. Your wife was probably trying to encourage you, and she is invaluable. She too has had to adapt to being married, as with any couple. You can bring out the best in each other. Even if you find communication hard, communicate between yourselves. Nurture that companionship. 

Children
  • Only your wife could explain what she meant.

I think it was difficult for me because “just different” was in regards to my sensory issues especially the heat. She was after long and tiring day at work and obviously she suffered from heat as well. So she said that heat for me is not worse only different.

This is what I disagree with... I sweat so intense that I’m constantly dehydrated although I drink enough for conditions like that, my feet starts to hurt whenever temperature go above 20 Celsius, I can see spots, tinnitus goes havoc and I feel like faint ... and this is not after hard day at work.