Which job sectors do people work in ?

Hi, 

Just out of curiosity, which job sectors do people currently work in, or have worked in, in the past? 

I work in adult social care, specifically learning disabilities /ASC, after exploring numerous other sectors that turned out to be ill suited to my motivation, social and preferred working styles (theatre / film /tv, admin. temping,  call centres (yuck !), harvest work). 

Parents
  • I've previously worked as a laboratory assistant (enjoyed it, but was only for maternity leave cover for 3 months), then as a medical technician, but since starting a family have only managed shift work. I've been a bakers assistant, school dinner lady, and was a night carer in a care home for people with dementia, but am now a domestic.I don't like where I am all that much, morale is generally low and staff turnover high, but I'm managing.

I've thought of looking for work caring for people with disabilities, but ironically now I am self diagnosed with Asperger's I'm more worried about job interviews than I used to be when I was living in ignorance. Everything I look at expects good communication skills and teamwork.

Would it be worth mentioning at interview, especially as it isn't official, or would it count against me? If you don't mind me asking, did you find it challenging to get the job you have now, and do you find autism to be a plus or a minus? (Not just at interview, but in the job itself.)

• Hi OrinocoFlo, the question of whether I would tell potential employers about my autism or not, is kind of taken out of my hands, because I seem to have developed an almost Tourette’s type syndrome, whenever I come into contact with somebody ~ it just comes out, without warning, I tell everybody I’m autistic! 

However, here are my thoughts. I think we should be telling people, every step of the way, of our diagnosis. For many reasons. One, is that society needs to know that we’re here and the more voices we have, the stronger our voice becomes. 

However, we are all individuals and we are all at different stages in life and I would never advice anyone to tell their potential employers that they are autistic. It’s totally individual and of course, it can have consequences. However, I would strongly advice that if a person is unsure, they ask other people what they think, then get some support to weigh up the information before they act. Support is out there and sometimes we need to reach out and try it. 

In the type of role you’re considering, your communication style would be considered an advantage, in an open and supportive environment  and there are many reasons why we make good team players. We don’t gossip, we tend to be naturally non judgemental, we want the best for others and we are often loyal, committed, honest and diligent  workers. Getting support from an organisation such as Autism Plus or NAS can be a great benefit to help us get the right jobs with the right support while putting our gifts and skills to good use. You don’t have to ‘manage’, you’re worth far more than that. If you fancy getting a job that you enjoy, in a place where you feel supported, where it doesn’t feel like a chore, I would strongly suggest getting some support where you can discuss all this and get some support to achieve your goals. 

Also, would you want to work at a place where an autism diagnosis would go against you? My metaphysics tutor was running a great program last year but when I told her my diagnosis, she said she was ‘sorry’ to hear that! I said it was nice talking to her (because it was), and got off the phone, knowing that deep down, despite her great program, I knew she wasn’t the person for me to work with anymore, if I could avoid it, because I’m not sure that saying sorry, to anybody in that way, is very metaphysical! I say we stand strong and proud - when we have the strength or inclination to do that. 

• Thanks for the encouragement, BlueRay, I'll look for help with my job hunting now that I know what sort of help I need. Especially thanks for the last paragraph, I wouldn't want to work where an autism diagnosis would go against me. Although I think that might narrow down the options a bit.

• That’s good if it narrows down the options as you’re only looking for one job and fewer options will make the job easier :-) 

Reply Children
No Data