Autism and big cities

Hello all,

Over the past year I've been living in London and struggling massively. All the autistic people I met there seemingly handled it quite well though and didn't seem to struggle with all the issues I had with it (understandably as all autistic people have different experiences) but this meant I had a hard time explaining my problems to neurotypical people who were friends with these other (diagnosed, I am not) autistic people.

Anyway I wanted to write an article on autistic people and their relationship with cities vs countryside but I'd like to hear about some other people's experiences. Would people be willing to be quoted or referred to in this article? Please state that you don't want to be referred to in my article if you don't want to be. Obviously though everyone quoted/referred to will be anonymous though. Could you also mention the city (or just the country if you're more comfortable with that) that you're referring to in the post. I have pretty much the same issues with all English cities but less so in some such as Manchester and a very different experience in Bristol for example. 

Also not really sure if this is counted as a survey/research type thing? The rules say you're not supposed to post requests for that here but since the article I want to write is nothing particularly professional and more just for me (although still planning to post online) I figured it'd be ok...?

Anyway thanks for reading hope you can help x

Parents
  • I live in the city with easy access to the countryside.

In the actual city centre I find it unpleasant because many people are in a hurry and everyone is a stranger. I hate the crowds and traffic and noise.  The only people who speak to me.  Want something!  Usually money.  I get stopped by beggers asking for money for themselves and then there are three chuhlggers collecting for charity.

In the local centres it's much more relaxed and pleasent.  I still don't know the people but I recognize the regular faces.

In the city parks it's still very impersonal.  People stick to people they know and no one talks to me.

But once I go on walks in the country through the woods or public footpaths.  People I meet are suddenly smiling and saying hello.

I have no problems being alone in the forest exploring paths.  But in the middle of the city I am surrounded by people.  Yet I feel totally alone and depressed.

• I live in the city with easy access to the countryside.

In the actual city centre I find it unpleasant because many people are in a hurry and everyone is a stranger. I hate the crowds and traffic and noise.  The only people who speak to me.  Want something!  Usually money.  I get stopped by beggers asking for money for themselves and then there are three chuhlggers collecting for charity.

In the local centres it's much more relaxed and pleasent.  I still don't know the people but I recognize the regular faces.

In the city parks it's still very impersonal.  People stick to people they know and no one talks to me.

But once I go on walks in the country through the woods or public footpaths.  People I meet are suddenly smiling and saying hello.

I have no problems being alone in the forest exploring paths.  But in the middle of the city I am surrounded by people.  Yet I feel totally alone and depressed.

Children
No Data