Best employers for autistic people

Any thoughts? What about the 'Big 4': PWC, EY, Deloitte, KPMG? 

Parents
  • I work in care with autistic people, which is hugely rewarding in one sense.  Not financially, though.  Because it's day service, too, my hours are set: 9 - 4.30.  Perfect for me.  Throughout my 40-odd year working life, I've generally stuck to those kinds of hours, with weekends free. 

If you're looking for something more financially rewarding, though... do you have any computer skills?  Coding, web developing, CRM systems, etc?  I used to be a self-employed recruiter for that sector.  The rewards can be high for the right people.  Short-term or long-term contracts for self-employed, or salaried positions are available - some with home-working arrangements.

Then there's the civil service, which suits many.  I was a civil servant for a few years.  Great benefits, flexi-time working, very accommodating to staff seeking a good work-life balance.  And the salaries aren't bad, even for Administrative Officers such as I was.  Their pension scheme is gold-plated, too.  I only worked in the civil service for five years.  Even so - and with cashing my pension in five years early, at 55 - I got a handy lump sum, and I now have a small monthly pension which enables me to only need to work 4 days a week now.  What drove me out was the work.  I simply had enough of desk jobs.  I wanted to do something that gave me a greater sense of job satisfaction - even if it meant a salary sacrifice.  That's where I am now!

Finding that balance between the kind of income you want and the kind of shift/hours structure you want might be your main challenge.  Often, the careers that offer the highest financial rewards will be those that demand the most of your time: multi-tasking, high-pressure work, long hours, etc.  Great if you can manage those challenges.  Not great if you can't.

• Civil service sounds good if they do flexible hours! A lot of food for thought, thank you 

Reply Children
No Data