Can't tell what is me and what is the mask. Unsure of who I really am

How do you drop the mask and how do you even identify it in the first place? It's so engrained Disappointed

Parents
  • I'm never myself anymore, but when I was a teenager and dropped the act for a while and was myself, people would immediately reject me, so now I know I need to be someone else in order not to be hated by people. Of course, my acting is still not good enough. Eventually people perceive that I'm unusual and that's much worse than being a psychopath, apparently, because there are plenty of them around and they are quite popular. So the choice for me is between wearing the mask and eventually being discovered and hated or just not ever ineracting with other people, thus remaining safe.

• I'm never myself anymore, but when I was a teenager and dropped the act for a while and was myself, people would immediately reject me, so now I know I need to be someone else in order not to be hated by people. Of course, my acting is still not good enough. Eventually people perceive that I'm unusual and that's much worse than being a psychopath, apparently, because there are plenty of them around and they are quite popular. So the choice for me is between wearing the mask and eventually being discovered and hated or just not ever ineracting with other people, thus remaining safe.

Children
  • just not ever ineracting with other people, thus remaining safe.

This is replied to DragonCat16, but is a reply in general...

Myself, whenever I tried to "Mask", I think I gained the same. Plus it was for myself, kind of "lying" and so I stopped. (lying.) There are advantages and disadvantages to masking and not doing so.

I may offer cheer at anyone whom I "feel" is genuinely doing so at myself. Though I may at times see a bigger picture than them - ie as suggested, they "eventually" detect the mask...

But never masking has its benefits also: I am always honest, and I  tell it like it is, yet I am Tactful (!) and not Rude. They may interpret it later as "rude", but then still later may realise what really went on. Sometimes, I become appreciated for being "Rude, Honest, Taciturn"... this translates as Respectful and sometimes (for myself) as being very Loyal! 

These are Traits that Autism should be about. But in normal society... well, one finds out who is TRUE by simply being TRUE to them. (True can be replaced there with "Respect".)

I almost forgot to add: I put that quote there, because not interacting is a learned practice, yet does not always keep one "safe". As I said, the situations are different. Some respect that, and some (bullies) will pounce upon it...

... I did not get any "upvotes" for my own posts so far here, Ho Ho (!)... and so how about this one instead, hmmm...?    :-)