Gender Dysphoria and Aspergers

I am still without a formal diagnosis, though I have an informal "pre-assessment".

I've had Gender Dysphoria thoughts for over 20 years. They sort of come and go in waves, except they're not so much dysphoric about my current gender, as they are a wanting to become the opposite gender.

I need to work out where these feelings come from. With the fact that I do indeed appear to have a pre-assessment informal diagnosis of Aspergers, I need to work out whether this fascination with gender identity is just a special interest/obsession, or whether it is genuine.

Unfortunately I don't think a lot of gender therapists are in the best position to work that one out.

U

Parents
  • When I was going through the diagnostic process for GD I was asked did I think I had autism, for myself to reply, yes I have a prior diagnosis, to later be diagnosed with having GD.

Eighteen months into treatment for GD I no longer have the consuming thoughts I did, to now be looking at ways to return to work - of which is no mean feat as the hindrance is self confidence.

• When I was going through the diagnostic process for GD I was asked did I think I had autism, for myself to reply, yes I have a prior diagnosis, to later be diagnosed with having GD.

Eighteen months into treatment for GD I no longer have the consuming thoughts I did, to now be looking at ways to return to work - of which is no mean feat as the hindrance is self confidence.

Children
No Data