I need to leave work

i started a new job a few months ago and I’m not going to manage. My mental health is worsening and I didn’t disclose my aspergers when I started so I’m not going to disclose it now as it would feel deceitful. They’ve pulled a fast one with my shift pattern so I cop most of the respite admissions - this, on top of my usual responsibilities is too much - they’ve put an extra staff on to help me, but I couldn’t even find her. 

If I go sick, can I hand my notice in and cease employment then continue on ssp until I decide what I need to do? I’ve worked all my life (30 years) without signing off sick so it’s not something I would do lightly. I’ve made a mistake and I want to put it behind me. 

I can’t sleep properly, I have nightmares when I do sleep, I’m shaking and sweating at work, meds aren’t helping and I’m having thoughts of self harm. I wish I could break something then I wouldn’t have to go in. 

Parents
  • If you think you are going to leave the job anyway, then I would say you have nothing to lose by disclosing your diagnosis.  Just mention that you didn't feel the diagnosis was relevant until they started to change your shift pattern, which you are finding difficult to cope with.

It may then give them a chance to reassess things and help your mental health if nothing else.  I am going through a similar thing as I have started a new job and I am really struggling to adjust.  I go into mini meltdowns where I become overwhelmed and things that I can normally handle just become too much, so I appreciate the toll this can take on you.

If things still don't work out, then you can move on and put it behind you - easier said than done, I know.

Your mental health is the priority, so make sure you do what is right for you and make sure you spend some time recovering so you don't burnout.

• If you think you are going to leave the job anyway, then I would say you have nothing to lose by disclosing your diagnosis.  Just mention that you didn't feel the diagnosis was relevant until they started to change your shift pattern, which you are finding difficult to cope with.

It may then give them a chance to reassess things and help your mental health if nothing else.  I am going through a similar thing as I have started a new job and I am really struggling to adjust.  I go into mini meltdowns where I become overwhelmed and things that I can normally handle just become too much, so I appreciate the toll this can take on you.

If things still don't work out, then you can move on and put it behind you - easier said than done, I know.

Your mental health is the priority, so make sure you do what is right for you and make sure you spend some time recovering so you don't burnout.

Children
No Data