living in the past

I am an adult, yet i don't look my age and this ,rather than a blessing causes me constant friction with the world at large. I find my mind is in a constant agitated state of flux .... bubbling between the present and the past.My favorite book is the Time Machine , due to an inate interest in time.I am regularly told that i ''live in the past'' .... infact this is one of the most common sayings people put onto me ........ i woke  this morning and i remembered in crystal detail a particularly day when i was at infants schhool .... i felt compelled to tell the teachers i was an alien and my infantile mind decided the best way to do so was to RUN around as fast as i could, jumping over obstacles and convincing the adults that no ordinary boy could perform this way..... the teachers all ran after me telling me to stop because it was a very sunny day... i WAS an alien in the playground.My mind will constantly bombard me with perfect images or movies from the past ... hence people constantly saying i live in the past.I am emotionally and physically immature, i do not look my age.Is this common amongst people with aspergers.

Thank you.

Parents
  • It doesn't sound uncommon. Being in your own head a lot I think is a very common autistic trait. It's not always in the past, but there is a common description that autistic people 'don't like change' and want to repeat things as they were. Maybe it's a downside of having a good memory? Feeling like an alien is also pretty common, which is why one of the other autism/Asperger forums is called 'Wrong Planet'.

I look young for my age, by about 10 years. Something most people would feel positive about, and you tend to as you get older.

• It doesn't sound uncommon. Being in your own head a lot I think is a very common autistic trait. It's not always in the past, but there is a common description that autistic people 'don't like change' and want to repeat things as they were. Maybe it's a downside of having a good memory? Feeling like an alien is also pretty common, which is why one of the other autism/Asperger forums is called 'Wrong Planet'.

I look young for my age, by about 10 years. Something most people would feel positive about, and you tend to as you get older.

Children
  • Thank you, i can ''see'' the metal fence and beyond in such detail i can almost reach out and touch it .... the brain is an amazing thing.... about not liking change  i noticed i listen to Alan Partrige Nomad audio CD over and over and over to no apparent final goal so i guess the ground hog scenario must be prevelant.Thank you very much for your comments it has really cheered me up and given me a boost.Please have a wonderful day.I am going to get ready to go shopping now.Thankk you.Bye