Gp refusing to give any anti depressants for anxiety. He recommended talking therapies instead but I'm feeling pretty low and crb doesn't work for me :(

Hi, 

I'm having a bit of a rubbish day so would appreciate any advice. After a long wait to see a gp regarding my anxiety which is really affecting me I wasn't allowed a prescription for an antidepressant as the gp believes that a non medicated route is the best.

Normally I just take beta blockers but I'm struggling with low mood and anxiety more than usual. I explained that I am saving up for a private assessment for autism and told him that I believe that sensory overload and general fear of social interaction due to being crap at it is the main factor in my panic attacks. 

Has anyone found that medication has helped them or should I suck it up and resign myself to the fate of being permanently anxious for ever?

I've tried CBT on four separate occasions and it hasn't worked for me at all so I am a little pessimistic about talking therapies in general. 

Parents
  • Hi there, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing a few problems. In regards to anti-depressants they are known for trying and treating various conditions. Also, the negative side of it is that they may become addictive if used frequently. As well as side effects e.g. headaches, insomnia or irritable...that explains why GP's and so on recommend using short term in some cases being monitored.

CBT is also known to help manage anxiety, depression amongst other mental and physical issues. But, for some people it works, some it doesn't. Different things suit different people. Medication comes in all different formats e.g. some may require a low dosage whilst others require a higher one. Any medication is worth doing a little research beforehand before anything goes further just for clarity or peace of mind. 

Some people, may have an allergic reaction or a specific chemical or ingredient. It is about finding that balance. There is no straightforward option but if it can reduce some anxiety or stress it might be worth pursuing. Ultimately, the choice is yours. It might be worth mentioning to your GP if there is any other alternative methods, help, solution whichever the case may be.

The main priority is you. You are in control of what care you would like to receive. As long as you are happy and comfortable that is the main thing. You want something that will benefit you and work to your pace. If you do prefer a non-medicated route then CBT might be the answer.

• Hi there, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing a few problems. In regards to anti-depressants they are known for trying and treating various conditions. Also, the negative side of it is that they may become addictive if used frequently. As well as side effects e.g. headaches, insomnia or irritable...that explains why GP's and so on recommend using short term in some cases being monitored.

CBT is also known to help manage anxiety, depression amongst other mental and physical issues. But, for some people it works, some it doesn't. Different things suit different people. Medication comes in all different formats e.g. some may require a low dosage whilst others require a higher one. Any medication is worth doing a little research beforehand before anything goes further just for clarity or peace of mind. 

Some people, may have an allergic reaction or a specific chemical or ingredient. It is about finding that balance. There is no straightforward option but if it can reduce some anxiety or stress it might be worth pursuing. Ultimately, the choice is yours. It might be worth mentioning to your GP if there is any other alternative methods, help, solution whichever the case may be.

The main priority is you. You are in control of what care you would like to receive. As long as you are happy and comfortable that is the main thing. You want something that will benefit you and work to your pace. If you do prefer a non-medicated route then CBT might be the answer.

Children
No Data