Can undiagnoised Asperger Syndrome lead to mental health issues?

please help has anyone got any ideas or proof to whether or not undianoised Asperger Syndrome can lead onto mental health issues in the future. I have a partner who is currently going through getting dianoised and the opputuinity arose at college to do a project on an area of my choice, so i decided to do it on Asperger Syndrome as i have found myself glued to the internet for hours at a time trying to find out as much as i can. I feel that more needs to be done to make people aware of the effects of autism and how varied and common it is. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Parents
  • Hi, I really empathise with your situation with your partner, I have had anxiety and depression for many years now (I'm 36) and had a breakdown in 2004.  I have recently been told I may have Aspergers by my psychologist....it has really explained so much about the stuggles I have been having all through my life, and some of these  are because of the Aspergers and have resulted in the mental health problems. There are other issues in my life that have contributed aswell, so I can't say it's all the Aspergers but a good deal of it is.

From my experience of the mental health services, I can give you a bit of advice....if you can, really keep pestering the mental health team, it really is true that those who shout loudest get more help.  You might feel that you are being a pain in the neck to them but it's the only way that they will listen! I'm lucky that I have the help I need now and some of that has been as a result of pestering!

My parents, as 'carers' have found it all very difficult, but they have always been there for me....at my lowest, I felt like I didn't want them there...but I can see now that I couldn't have got through that period without their support.....I guess what I'm trying to say is, keep going and fight for the help you both deserve....I understand that it's really tough for you aswell...if you were able to get the help for him, it would take a lot of pressure off you....look after yourself too!

I don't know if that's any help, and I've kind of diverted off the subject a bit, but yes, I really believe some of my mental health problems are a result of undiagnosed Aspergers.

• Hi, I really empathise with your situation with your partner, I have had anxiety and depression for many years now (I'm 36) and had a breakdown in 2004.  I have recently been told I may have Aspergers by my psychologist....it has really explained so much about the stuggles I have been having all through my life, and some of these  are because of the Aspergers and have resulted in the mental health problems. There are other issues in my life that have contributed aswell, so I can't say it's all the Aspergers but a good deal of it is.

From my experience of the mental health services, I can give you a bit of advice....if you can, really keep pestering the mental health team, it really is true that those who shout loudest get more help.  You might feel that you are being a pain in the neck to them but it's the only way that they will listen! I'm lucky that I have the help I need now and some of that has been as a result of pestering!

My parents, as 'carers' have found it all very difficult, but they have always been there for me....at my lowest, I felt like I didn't want them there...but I can see now that I couldn't have got through that period without their support.....I guess what I'm trying to say is, keep going and fight for the help you both deserve....I understand that it's really tough for you aswell...if you were able to get the help for him, it would take a lot of pressure off you....look after yourself too!

I don't know if that's any help, and I've kind of diverted off the subject a bit, but yes, I really believe some of my mental health problems are a result of undiagnosed Aspergers.

Children
No Data