Can undiagnoised Asperger Syndrome lead to mental health issues?

please help has anyone got any ideas or proof to whether or not undianoised Asperger Syndrome can lead onto mental health issues in the future. I have a partner who is currently going through getting dianoised and the opputuinity arose at college to do a project on an area of my choice, so i decided to do it on Asperger Syndrome as i have found myself glued to the internet for hours at a time trying to find out as much as i can. I feel that more needs to be done to make people aware of the effects of autism and how varied and common it is. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Parents
  • Hiya, I have Aspergers Syndrome and I went undiagnosed until last year (I'm now 18).

I grew increadibly depressed throughout puberty and my ocd tendancies went into overdrive, one occassion I was up all night crying trying to complete a terms worth of maths accelerated homework. I also became even more withdrawn and isolated until a teacher speculated that I should be tested for OCD. At the CAHMs interview, the psychologist discovered I exhibited all of the classic symptoms for autism and had me tested.

Since my diagnosis, I've finally accepted that having help from school isn't a sign of weakness, and I've learned that if something goes wrong, its not neccesarily my fault, so I've felt less guilty about things in general. I've become more sociable and can deviate from my routines a little now as opposed to dissolving into panic and chaos the second I forget one thing.

Now that I've had support for Aspergers, I'm actually looking forward to going uni, and I've generally become a happier and more confident person. Don't get me wrong, I'm still upset that my head of SEN at primary didn't notice my symptoms, as from all the stories I've heard from mum its so obvious I'm autistic its disappointing (hated change, played alone, was too 'grown up' for other kids, more intelligent in my subjects but hopeless at keeping more than one friend).

If the people trained to recognise autism or learning difficulties can't recognise the symptoms, what chance has the general public got?

Another thing I've noticed in all my research, everythings about the bad side of autism. 'They can't adapt well, they need routines, can become violent when upset etc etc.' ....it makes us sound like a burden, like we're charity cases.

All the people who sat next to me in lessons at school went up at least two grades to A's or B's because I was able to explain complex equations or definitions in simple memorable terms, my friends rely on me as their 'alarm clock' at school because I'm always dead on time and when I promise to do something, I do it.

And my little cousin who's further down the spectrum, he's the most loving kind person I know. A little clingy but everything he does is with others best interests at heart. He will run off mid conversation to go and get a teddy for one of his cousins if they get upset at a family gathering, he's always smiling and is amazing at maths.

Sorry for the immense rant xD

Summary: Yes, I do believe being diagnosed early is better, because at least that way you know you're not just a 'freak', and that if you need support you'll get it. However, there isn't enough awareness of autism in general, and whats worse, its never portrayed as a positive thing for the community, more 'they do well in this subject'. We're not all social rejects all the time, merely when we feel like it. :)

• Hiya, I have Aspergers Syndrome and I went undiagnosed until last year (I'm now 18).

I grew increadibly depressed throughout puberty and my ocd tendancies went into overdrive, one occassion I was up all night crying trying to complete a terms worth of maths accelerated homework. I also became even more withdrawn and isolated until a teacher speculated that I should be tested for OCD. At the CAHMs interview, the psychologist discovered I exhibited all of the classic symptoms for autism and had me tested.

Since my diagnosis, I've finally accepted that having help from school isn't a sign of weakness, and I've learned that if something goes wrong, its not neccesarily my fault, so I've felt less guilty about things in general. I've become more sociable and can deviate from my routines a little now as opposed to dissolving into panic and chaos the second I forget one thing.

Now that I've had support for Aspergers, I'm actually looking forward to going uni, and I've generally become a happier and more confident person. Don't get me wrong, I'm still upset that my head of SEN at primary didn't notice my symptoms, as from all the stories I've heard from mum its so obvious I'm autistic its disappointing (hated change, played alone, was too 'grown up' for other kids, more intelligent in my subjects but hopeless at keeping more than one friend).

If the people trained to recognise autism or learning difficulties can't recognise the symptoms, what chance has the general public got?

Another thing I've noticed in all my research, everythings about the bad side of autism. 'They can't adapt well, they need routines, can become violent when upset etc etc.' ....it makes us sound like a burden, like we're charity cases.

All the people who sat next to me in lessons at school went up at least two grades to A's or B's because I was able to explain complex equations or definitions in simple memorable terms, my friends rely on me as their 'alarm clock' at school because I'm always dead on time and when I promise to do something, I do it.

And my little cousin who's further down the spectrum, he's the most loving kind person I know. A little clingy but everything he does is with others best interests at heart. He will run off mid conversation to go and get a teddy for one of his cousins if they get upset at a family gathering, he's always smiling and is amazing at maths.

Sorry for the immense rant xD

Summary: Yes, I do believe being diagnosed early is better, because at least that way you know you're not just a 'freak', and that if you need support you'll get it. However, there isn't enough awareness of autism in general, and whats worse, its never portrayed as a positive thing for the community, more 'they do well in this subject'. We're not all social rejects all the time, merely when we feel like it. :)

Children
No Data