Does anyone else hate the term 'meltdown'?

I can't stand it...I think it's such an invalidating term, and as a 21-year-old woman I hate it when it's applied to me and my behaviour because it sounds like people are referring to a toddler tantrum: 'meltdown' sounds too frivolous a term for what is such a distressing experience for many people. However, most autistic people I've spoken to don't seem to mind it and freely apply it to themselves, so I'd be really interested to hear what people on here think.

Anyway...I hope you've all had a lovely bank holiday and that you have a good week. :)

Parents
  • Hi Angel Cake thank you for saying you hope we have a good week, may I say that is a very kind thing to say.

I don’t have such a thing as a meltdown, I get very stuck at times, have a desire to run away,often struggle to keep focus,,the word does sound like an ice cream left out in the sun.or something you do to gold when making an ingot.

I really hope you have a good week also. Take care.

x()x

• Hi Angel Cake thank you for saying you hope we have a good week, may I say that is a very kind thing to say.

I don’t have such a thing as a meltdown, I get very stuck at times, have a desire to run away,often struggle to keep focus,,the word does sound like an ice cream left out in the sun.or something you do to gold when making an ingot.

I really hope you have a good week also. Take care.

x()x

Children
No Data