Employed Temporarily Only To Fulfil A Legal Condition?

"Employed Temporarily Only To Fulfil A Legal Condition?"

I am asking for the the opinions of others, here, about that Title. Before I was afflicted with multiple Illnesses, the following ritual used to happen to me a lot:
1 - They <>say: 'If you want your "Benefits" to continue, you will do as we say. We have a "Work Placement" for you.'
2 - Everyone is very supportive, smiling, positive, encouraging.
3 - Upon the Job, everyone is friendly, supportive, filling in for what I do not know.
4 - Suddenly! Very suddenly!... After A day, a week, or a month... suddenly, these same persons are oddly hostile, intolerant, and at times even asking me to do things which I cannot do...
5 - ...However... Even when I do the asked thing correctly, and even show initiative, it is dismissed, nit-picked, "shot down", or ignored.
6 - I am continually asked to do things which I am not qualified to do. It is as if they are finding some reason to get rid of me - *but they must make myself be the cause of it*...?
7 - When I quit, due to some outside reason (in my own case, multiple illnesses), they are eager again, only to make certain that the reason for my quitting is "nothing which they have done". It has to be something which "I myself or someone else has done"...?

To close, I shall say, for one thing, that I am of a certain "Ethnic Minority"... and I have seen the same thing happen to others like myself. The Gaining of miraculous "Perks" one day... and then suddenly outright hostility the the next day.

What I am asking is how much it is TRUE that some Companies must employ a certain person in order to continue themselves (Funding or whatever)...?

Age - or Gender - or Race - or Disability. (Not necessarily all of those and maybe just one.)

Thank You for reading this far.

Parents
  • Not sure if there are legal requirements, I worked for a public sector research organisation, so we weren't quite civil servants but something close and in theory we got half a day off to celebrate the Queen's birthday :)  Anyway, there were no such quotas, What surprised me a bit was that they also didn't have something like when two people are equally qualified for a job but one has a disability then the one with the disability should get the job. This is very common with German public sector jobs, so I assumed it would be the same here, especially because they apparently are "Investors in people" (which I later found out means nothing, certainly not that they invest in people). The Disability confident employer scheme is similar - "The Disability Confident scheme supports employers like you to make the most of the talents disabled people can bring to your workplace." None of these things are aimed at helping people with disabilities. But it's well possible that in order to get a certificate of some sort it looks good if they can say we employ so and so many people from some kind of ethnic minority or who have a disability or who are women. And the certificate may be useful when applying for funding or competing with another place for a large contract or whatever. It also makes HR feel brilliant, so they can be as nasty as they like but in the end of the day the certificate proves they are good people so they can sleep well. As far as I'm aware there is no legal requirement to fulfill any kind of quotas of that sort though. 

I'm wondering if the sudden change is rather because people just change back to how they really are. When someone new starts they may think it will look bad if they are nasty to them straight away, even if they probably decide within minutes of seeing you whether you are someone they will like or not. So to start with they appear very nice (and we are perhaps less able than others to look behind the facade at that point, and find the people that are more genuine). Then after a certain time it feels save to switch back to normal. It doesn't mean they will be nasty to everybody after such a time, but you may be someone some other people think doesn't fit in with them because you are different somehow (which doesn't mean there's actually something wrong about you, but they may have quite a narrow-minded idea of how their colleagues should be). So it may not be that you did anything that made them gradually more and more annoyed with you, but that they had been wearing a mask and then they take it off, after a day, a week, a month...   

• Not sure if there are legal requirements, I worked for a public sector research organisation, so we weren't quite civil servants but something close and in theory we got half a day off to celebrate the Queen's birthday :)  Anyway, there were no such quotas, What surprised me a bit was that they also didn't have something like when two people are equally qualified for a job but one has a disability then the one with the disability should get the job. This is very common with German public sector jobs, so I assumed it would be the same here, especially because they apparently are "Investors in people" (which I later found out means nothing, certainly not that they invest in people). The Disability confident employer scheme is similar - "The Disability Confident scheme supports employers like you to make the most of the talents disabled people can bring to your workplace." None of these things are aimed at helping people with disabilities. But it's well possible that in order to get a certificate of some sort it looks good if they can say we employ so and so many people from some kind of ethnic minority or who have a disability or who are women. And the certificate may be useful when applying for funding or competing with another place for a large contract or whatever. It also makes HR feel brilliant, so they can be as nasty as they like but in the end of the day the certificate proves they are good people so they can sleep well. As far as I'm aware there is no legal requirement to fulfill any kind of quotas of that sort though. 

I'm wondering if the sudden change is rather because people just change back to how they really are. When someone new starts they may think it will look bad if they are nasty to them straight away, even if they probably decide within minutes of seeing you whether you are someone they will like or not. So to start with they appear very nice (and we are perhaps less able than others to look behind the facade at that point, and find the people that are more genuine). Then after a certain time it feels save to switch back to normal. It doesn't mean they will be nasty to everybody after such a time, but you may be someone some other people think doesn't fit in with them because you are different somehow (which doesn't mean there's actually something wrong about you, but they may have quite a narrow-minded idea of how their colleagues should be). So it may not be that you did anything that made them gradually more and more annoyed with you, but that they had been wearing a mask and then they take it off, after a day, a week, a month...   

Children
No Data