Raads test

So I took the raads test for the first time.  First diagnosis appointment is next month.  My combined score was 179.  Is that high?

Parents
  • I don’t suppose it is possible to score higher than average for ASD and not be autisic?

• I just got 164, and I have an ASD diagnosis. Like all of these tests, some of the questions are not very well thought out. For example, I am almost phobic about being touched by people I do not know very well, but I enjoy hugging and being hugged by my family and closest friends.

• Yes, that was another poor question. Like you, I feel sympathy/empathy, but usually do not know what to do if someone is upset. I recognise it and often feel distress in response, but I would tend to dissect the problem and suggest practical remedies, rather than hug the person and go '"There, there", which is apparently the neurotypical response.

• I actually wrote all over the form that the ASD assessment centre sent me saying what questions didn’t make sense but I filled out as worse case scenario like the question about sympathy. Mostly I don’t have any but on the rare occasion I get scared when other people are distressed; I still won’t hug them and tell them lies how it will all be ok in the end. If you don’t even know the end then you should not lie to make them better. 

• I actually wrote all over the form that the ASD assessment centre sent me saying what questions didn’t make sense but I filled out as worse case scenario like the question about sympathy. Mostly I don’t have any but on the rare occasion I get scared when other people are distressed; I still won’t hug them and tell them lies how it will all be ok in the end. If you don’t even know the end then you should not lie to make them better. 

Children
  • Yes, that was another poor question. Like you, I feel sympathy/empathy, but usually do not know what to do if someone is upset. I recognise it and often feel distress in response, but I would tend to dissect the problem and suggest practical remedies, rather than hug the person and go '"There, there", which is apparently the neurotypical response.