New job problems. Help.

I started a new job last Monday, and after a very frank review with manager on Friday afternoon I'm considering quitting after only a week.

The basic theme of the review was that I'm not showing an aptitude for the work and not engaging with the clients well enough.

I will start by explaining some of my background and situation.

I, unsurprisingly have had long gaps in my employment and need money desperately.  And I cannot be choosy!   So obvious route is finding paid employment.  Any paid job!!!!!  

Other routes are trying for more benefits.  One debt advisor suggested I apply for PIP.  The next three professional  advisors ( same week)  laughed at the suggestion.  Saying that my social skills problems are minisule compared to some people they deal with.

I have and had multiple advisors giving me all types of contradictory advice.

In applying for this job, one of my employment advisors actually changed my answers.

For confidentiality reasons I will not give specific details but the job is full time at the minimum wage and involves supporting people with complex physical/mental needs.  Over the past twenty years I've been involved in doing this type of work for family and neighbors, so I am familiar with the issues and can emphasize with most autistics and their problems.

The problems are that I'm not showing enough enthusiasm and the will to get involved in specific tasks while shadowing existing workers.  I am too reserved.

And the end of week review was very very negative.

Should I quit?  Or turn up tomorrow morning and carry on ?

At the moment I'm intending to continue and apply for other jobs simultaneously.  Just doing application for work at local poundstrechter.

Parents
  • Do you agree or disagree with the review? 

Of course I come from a different perspective than most people and I would be questioning the belief that you ‘need money desperately’. But you could start with the review. 

Do you agree or disagree? It sounds like the financial gains that you will get from this employment are the most important aspect in this story, therefore, the question is, do the financial benefits outweigh any so called ‘negative’ aspects? If so, you are getting what you want and can therefore go ahead and enjoy yourself regardless of other people’s views of you. Of course, if you want to keep the financial rewards, you will have to do what you can to ensure you keep the job but if the motive is the financial reward, then it will be a pleasure to do what you can at work because you know it is simply a means to an end. 

Well done and congratulations on getting the job. All your hard work and consistency, turning up for appointments etc in the snow, paid off and I’m pleased that you are already enjoying some financial rewards. You’ve done great Robert, I hope you haven’t forgot to congratulate yourself on your achievements. 

If you like being back in work and the job isn’t so unbearable that one more day would be the straw that breaks the camels back, then giving it a bit more time might be wise, it’s early days so it might turn into something really great. 

Well done and best of luck with whatever you decide to do. 

• I would be questioning the belief that you ‘need money desperately’.

I agree with the sentiment that health is always more important than money, but I think it's up to the individual to know their circumstances best, and what they need or don't need - and how much being without money, with the worries that can bring, can further damage health and wellbeing.  No one else can make that judgment, BlueRay.

• I agree. Besides, being employed at minimum wage, even full time, doesn't earn a person much more than they'd get from benefits anyway.

Reply Children
No Data