pathological demand avoidance

Are there any adults on here with PDA?  I'd really like to hear more about how this manifests.  I've read the stuff on it on the site.  What kinds of avoidance might be included in the condition and how severe does it get? Does it include everything or only certain activities for you?  Would you include a "rigid reluctance to engage in life for your own benefit" beyond the avoidance of suggestions from others? Or is it very specific? Thanks.

Parents
  • Aiiii, had not heard of it before but that sounds like ME... I've got classic autism (well, the DSM-5 thing where you check all the boxes) but you would never ever be able to tell. BUT I have meltdowns when I get forces in social interactions. And I have a nasty manipulative side. And I avoid lots of situations. And have a major lack of hierarchy understanding.

When I was little I was always manipulating others into doing what I wanted.

Wasn't aware this even existed. Only got diagnosed some weeks ago.

Thanks for the post!

• I don't think I do much manipulating -- it wouldn't have been possible to manipulate my dad anyway!  I think I do have what you call lack of hierarchy understanding.  But then, I grew up in the Sixties, when we were all challenging hierarchy -- is it such a bad thing not to recognise it?  If it means not being scared of speaking up in meetings when there are people there who are much "higher up" than you are, I think it's a good thing.

• I don't think I do much manipulating -- it wouldn't have been possible to manipulate my dad anyway!  I think I do have what you call lack of hierarchy understanding.  But then, I grew up in the Sixties, when we were all challenging hierarchy -- is it such a bad thing not to recognise it?  If it means not being scared of speaking up in meetings when there are people there who are much "higher up" than you are, I think it's a good thing.

Children
No Data