Are you good at maths?

I have this preconceived idea that all Autistic people are really good at maths.  I am terrible at mental arithmetic or any kind of working out in my head!  Yet I can put together a mean spreadsheet, with formulas, forecasts, percentages whatever you like.  But ask me what something times something is?  Haven't a clue?

So I just wanted to see if that is odd for an Autistic person?  

Parents
  • I was rubbish at everything at school - except reading and writing.  I gave up on maths whilst still at primary school.  Geometry, trig, algebra - they all passed me by.  Nowadays, I know what pi is, and the stuff about the square of the hypotenuse... but that's as far as it goes.

Mental arithmetic, though, is something I'm good at.  I can add up numbers and work out percentages pretty quickly - often to the surprise of others.  I used to work in a shop where we gave 10% discount if people bought 3 of the same item.  So someone would come to the till with 3 things priced at £3.89 each, and I'd ask them for £10.50... and they'd say 'Don't forget to take off my 10%', and would look at me aghast when I told them I already had!  I just think '3 times £4, minus 33p equals £11.67.  10% of £11.67 is £1.17.  Easy!'  Mind you  - 10% is a simple one to figure out.

My dad had a calculator brain.  He didn't have much education, but he used to play darts and could work out scores in his head whilst the scorer was still thinking about it!

I suppose I ought to try boning up on some of this stuff, but I don't really have a logical brain that way.  I'm good with using computers (though I've forgotten a lot of Excel), but I could never do something like coding.  My niece's husband, on the other hand - an undiagnosed Aspie - ought to be earning a fortune in Silicon Valley.  He just absorbs that stuff.

• Do you literally think that sum through, or does it kind of slide through your head and you know the answer?

• I just read it and my mind starts shutting down Worried

• I just read the question and the answer is there, it's like walking I don't think of how to do it it just happens. Totally opposite to my relationship with words, to write a word i have to spell it as I write one letter at a time. Dyslexia i hate it.

• Me too, any more than three numbers and Complete mind fog.I kind of goninto a trance if allowed to, I just shut it down.

it could be due to dyslexia as my memory suffers badly. It has held me back as well as autism. 

I struve to learn, analyse everything in minute detail only to have much of it vanish when needed! It literally turns me into an incoherent mess.

• Me too, any more than three numbers and Complete mind fog.I kind of goninto a trance if allowed to, I just shut it down.

it could be due to dyslexia as my memory suffers badly. It has held me back as well as autism. 

I struve to learn, analyse everything in minute detail only to have much of it vanish when needed! It literally turns me into an incoherent mess.

Children
  • I just read the question and the answer is there, it's like walking I don't think of how to do it it just happens. Totally opposite to my relationship with words, to write a word i have to spell it as I write one letter at a time. Dyslexia i hate it.