Are you good at maths?

I have this preconceived idea that all Autistic people are really good at maths.  I am terrible at mental arithmetic or any kind of working out in my head!  Yet I can put together a mean spreadsheet, with formulas, forecasts, percentages whatever you like.  But ask me what something times something is?  Haven't a clue?

So I just wanted to see if that is odd for an Autistic person?  

Parents
  • So glad to see this thread and would like to add to it. One of my great disappointments with myself is I've never been good at math. I'm technical minded- have been an electronics engineer first part of my life (so much terrible trouble and stress getting through the theory qualifications for that). I love science too, but the math just does not compute :( 

I love doing statistics though, this is the crazy thing.

I also think that in recent year I've developed Dyscalculia. I'm definately starting to jumble numbers up.

• Good is a relative term.  One can appear good when the people around one are truly awful.

I was good at maths throughout my up and down school career without making any effort.

And being good, caused endless problems.

I was moved into a normal middle school after my stay at a 'special school'/insane lunatic asylum is a better description.  I arrived a few weeks after term had started and I was immediately placed in the bottom maths set.  I enjoyed my stay in that maths class and I didn't have any problems. I actually fitted in.  In the end of year exams I came top by a big margin.  And I was moved to the middle maths class for the following year.   But, the boy who came second wasn't moved and he really was upset. He blamed me, for holding him back.  If I hadn't been there, then he would have been top and he would have been promoted. Despite being in the same class in other subjects, he never spoke to me again.

A month in the middle maths class, I came top in a maths test again by a massive margin. And I got promoted to the top maths class.  And we had a repeat performance,  the girl who was second, behind me in the test went ballistic.  Blamed me for stealing her place in the top class, she refused to work in the middle class, started a petition to get moved to the top class.  The irony of the whole situation was that I would have preferred to stay in the bottom or middle classes because they were relaxed and had a friendly atmosphere.  The top class was overcrowded and impersonal. 

• Good is a relative term.  One can appear good when the people around one are truly awful.

I was good at maths throughout my up and down school career without making any effort.

And being good, caused endless problems.

I was moved into a normal middle school after my stay at a 'special school'/insane lunatic asylum is a better description.  I arrived a few weeks after term had started and I was immediately placed in the bottom maths set.  I enjoyed my stay in that maths class and I didn't have any problems. I actually fitted in.  In the end of year exams I came top by a big margin.  And I was moved to the middle maths class for the following year.   But, the boy who came second wasn't moved and he really was upset. He blamed me, for holding him back.  If I hadn't been there, then he would have been top and he would have been promoted. Despite being in the same class in other subjects, he never spoke to me again.

A month in the middle maths class, I came top in a maths test again by a massive margin. And I got promoted to the top maths class.  And we had a repeat performance,  the girl who was second, behind me in the test went ballistic.  Blamed me for stealing her place in the top class, she refused to work in the middle class, started a petition to get moved to the top class.  The irony of the whole situation was that I would have preferred to stay in the bottom or middle classes because they were relaxed and had a friendly atmosphere.  The top class was overcrowded and impersonal. 

Children
No Data