Autscape or camps, holidays, events etc for autistic adults

I am wondering whether there are any annual events for autistic adults in the UK that anyone else here goes to? I know about Autscape but no other events. I wondered if anyone here has found or been to any others?

When I was little I was home educated and there were annual camps for home educated children to meet each other with their families. I am really wondering if there is anything similar for autistic people and if anyone here has been to them if so.

Also, has anyone here been to Autscape? I'd be really interested to know how you found it, what it's like, if you have. I have no real conception of it despite having read up about it, I wonder if I would struggle with all the noise/business, I do not do especially well in very busy or noisy environments, or brightly lit ones for that matter.

Thanks a lot,

E

Parents
  • I attended Autscape in 2019 and also last year which was online due to Covid. At the conference they had badges with communication preferences, the pronouns people wanted to use and you can put a circle if you are happy to hug. It was a superb environment for autistic people and a lot of thought had gone into it. I will attend this year and aim to attend every year as it is a real highlight of the summer. Like a lot of people once I had been to Autscape once I decided to go every year.

When I first went it was a leap into the unknown and I was quite apprehensive, but I needn’t have been as it was such an easy place to be with provisions made for everyone’s needs. It really helped me when I was newly diagnosed. I met some great people and learned so much about autism and people’s experiences. The food and the outdoor spaces at the venue were great and you could decompress and spend some time in nature between events. They also had a vintage games room with computer’s and consoles right through from the BBC micro through to the present day. I met people from all over the world.

I would definitely recommend people attend as Autscape is such a great place and such a precious thing for the autistic community. 

• I attended Autscape in 2019 and also last year which was online due to Covid. At the conference they had badges with communication preferences, the pronouns people wanted to use and you can put a circle if you are happy to hug. It was a superb environment for autistic people and a lot of thought had gone into it. I will attend this year and aim to attend every year as it is a real highlight of the summer. Like a lot of people once I had been to Autscape once I decided to go every year.

When I first went it was a leap into the unknown and I was quite apprehensive, but I needn’t have been as it was such an easy place to be with provisions made for everyone’s needs. It really helped me when I was newly diagnosed. I met some great people and learned so much about autism and people’s experiences. The food and the outdoor spaces at the venue were great and you could decompress and spend some time in nature between events. They also had a vintage games room with computer’s and consoles right through from the BBC micro through to the present day. I met people from all over the world.

I would definitely recommend people attend as Autscape is such a great place and such a precious thing for the autistic community. 

Children
No Data