I want to understand about autistic adults difficulties which they face in workplace.

Hello everyone,

I am postgraduate student and I am working on a project to understand about

difficulties faced by autistic adults in their day to day life particularly in workplace.

By research, I came to know that autistic adults are facing a lot of problems in workplace,

but I am not clear about what exact problems they face. I want to create awareness

about their problems in offices so that they get maximum support at workplace. By doing so,

the gap between autistic adults and their colleagues may disappear.

Hopefully, everyone will start understanding them better. If anyone knows about it,

could you please help me in understanding about their problems?

Parents
  • I don't know where to start with answering this question and would suggest sitting down with some of us, or email conversations or telephone might yield more in depth information, particularly as we all change over time. I would suspect there are quite a few common themes though:

1. Noise in the office place, from computer fans to footsteps
    2. Lighting in the office place
    3. Having to interact with other people in a neurotypical way can be exhausting, autistics tend to be blunt with each other, just read a few threads on here
    4. Not knowing how to join in with group conversations
    5. Not knowing where the line is when chatting in groups
    6. Not liking telephones, or not liking to cold call someone
    7. Not knowing whether to tell people or not that one is autistic
    8. Meeting deadlines can be hard as it puts extra stress on, but for some it may be a comfort as it is something to work towards
    9. Having to jump from one task to another, I for one prefer just concentrating on one task in a day or one project in a day if possible
    10. Easily distracted by things around one
    11. Taking things to heart even when comments were not meant negatively. I had a boss that once that sued to say "that was good but....", as soon as I heard the "but" may brain would go that it can not be good and not be right at the same time.
    12. Trying to get the language right in emails
    13. Difficulty approaching other people
    14. Not knowing how to ask for help when struggling
    15. Having to follow ridged hours or coping with shift patterns, I know that my brain does not really come on line until 10am for instance so I prefer to start at that time
    16. Always worrying about putting a foot wrong, particularly with the opposite sex
    17. People not understanding my eye contact issues, that if I keep making eye contact I usually don't mean to, its just my eyes will pick up on a movement
    18. No knowing what to do when I find myself isolated because people think I am weird or creepy or or or.....
  • I don't know where to start with answering this question and would suggest sitting down with some of us, or email conversations or telephone might yield more in depth information, particularly as we all change over time. I would suspect there are quite a few common themes though:

1. Noise in the office place, from computer fans to footsteps
    2. Lighting in the office place
    3. Having to interact with other people in a neurotypical way can be exhausting, autistics tend to be blunt with each other, just read a few threads on here
    4. Not knowing how to join in with group conversations
    5. Not knowing where the line is when chatting in groups
    6. Not liking telephones, or not liking to cold call someone
    7. Not knowing whether to tell people or not that one is autistic
    8. Meeting deadlines can be hard as it puts extra stress on, but for some it may be a comfort as it is something to work towards
    9. Having to jump from one task to another, I for one prefer just concentrating on one task in a day or one project in a day if possible
    10. Easily distracted by things around one
    11. Taking things to heart even when comments were not meant negatively. I had a boss that once that sued to say "that was good but....", as soon as I heard the "but" may brain would go that it can not be good and not be right at the same time.
    12. Trying to get the language right in emails
    13. Difficulty approaching other people
    14. Not knowing how to ask for help when struggling
    15. Having to follow ridged hours or coping with shift patterns, I know that my brain does not really come on line until 10am for instance so I prefer to start at that time
    16. Always worrying about putting a foot wrong, particularly with the opposite sex
    17. People not understanding my eye contact issues, that if I keep making eye contact I usually don't mean to, its just my eyes will pick up on a movement
    18. No knowing what to do when I find myself isolated because people think I am weird or creepy or or or.....
Children
No Data