I want to understand about autistic adults difficulties which they face in workplace.

Hello everyone,

I am postgraduate student and I am working on a project to understand about

difficulties faced by autistic adults in their day to day life particularly in workplace.

By research, I came to know that autistic adults are facing a lot of problems in workplace,

but I am not clear about what exact problems they face. I want to create awareness

about their problems in offices so that they get maximum support at workplace. By doing so,

the gap between autistic adults and their colleagues may disappear.

Hopefully, everyone will start understanding them better. If anyone knows about it,

could you please help me in understanding about their problems?

Parents
  • Hi. Since you are kind enough to ask, the main issues for me at work are

• a lack of control over my working environment
    • white desks that reflect the flickering fluorescent lights
    • high energy decoration (high contrast patterns that don't resolve) on the carpet and cupboards
    • narrow, adjoining desks that force employees to sit close together (I like to be with other people but not that close)
    • high noise levels from chatter (my year 1 teacher would never have allowed it)
    • reliance on telephone meetings (how does everyone know when it's their turn to speak?)
    • hot desking (and the unwritten rules that go with it)
    • the organisational assumption that employees are identical units of work whose needs are all essentially the same (which is evident in all the above, whatever the diversity policy document says)
    • the refusal of managers to shift from that assumption, forcing me to medicalise the issue by getting a diagnosis
    • the patronising attitude of a few (but only a few) of my co-workers when I was offered home working following diagnosis
    • the difficulty that neurotypical people tend to have with the idea that what is obvious and intuitive to them may shrouded in mystery to me, and vice versa.

Very best wishes with your project.

• Hi. Since you are kind enough to ask, the main issues for me at work are

• a lack of control over my working environment
    • white desks that reflect the flickering fluorescent lights
    • high energy decoration (high contrast patterns that don't resolve) on the carpet and cupboards
    • narrow, adjoining desks that force employees to sit close together (I like to be with other people but not that close)
    • high noise levels from chatter (my year 1 teacher would never have allowed it)
    • reliance on telephone meetings (how does everyone know when it's their turn to speak?)
    • hot desking (and the unwritten rules that go with it)
    • the organisational assumption that employees are identical units of work whose needs are all essentially the same (which is evident in all the above, whatever the diversity policy document says)
    • the refusal of managers to shift from that assumption, forcing me to medicalise the issue by getting a diagnosis
    • the patronising attitude of a few (but only a few) of my co-workers when I was offered home working following diagnosis
    • the difficulty that neurotypical people tend to have with the idea that what is obvious and intuitive to them may shrouded in mystery to me, and vice versa.

Very best wishes with your project.

Children
No Data