What happens at an assessment?

Hello, everyone. I am new to this community. I have been on the waiting list for an ASD assessment for a year and a half and it is finally set for Tuesday morning. Despite my mother insisting I am on the spectrum for a number of years, so far I have been in the mental health system and have a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder. This appears to be fairly common in females. 

I like to be prepared for things like this and to know what I'm up against. However, I haven't seen two stories of an assessment that are the same! My experience in applying for PIP where I was accused of lying about literally everything and awarded 0 points has scared me. 

The assessment is to be held at my home and last for three hours. Supposedly it will be conducted by a consultant psychiatrist. Does this align with anyone else's experience? What happened? What should I expect? How will the meeting be structured? 

If anyone could give me any information or links at all about their assessment appointment, I would be most grateful. Thank you so much,

Parents
  • Hi there,

Interestingly - as a 50-something male - it was first thought that I had BPD, as I exhibited all the major symptoms.  Mental health services were hopeless though, and eventually - with the support of a therapist, who first identified what she thought were ASC traits instead - I insisted on a direct referral to the county autism unit.

Firstly, I had a home visit from an assessor from a local autism trust (now, as it happens, my employer!), and he thought it was definitely worth pursuing.  At the final diagnostic assessment, I was interviewed for about an hour.  Then my mother was interviewed separately, and was asked about my childhood and how I managed with my developmental milestones.  Her interview took about 30 minutes.  The final diagnosis came through a few weeks later.

Interestingly, too... since my diagnosis, my mental health problems have improved.  No longer am I anxious and depressed 'for no apparent reason'.  My panic attacks can now be explained, as can my frequent (though becoming much less frequent) feelings of emptiness.

I've never applied for a PIP, but I've been on ESA a couple of times.  Each time, I've scored '0' on work capability assessments, and been bumped back onto JSA.  The first time, I took it to tribunal and won.  The second time, I gave up.  The system is designed to fail people - especially, I think, those with mental health disorders.  The system itself is deeply sick.  The presumption is always 'well until proven sick.'

Good luck with it all.  Just be yourself.

Tom

• Hi there,

Interestingly - as a 50-something male - it was first thought that I had BPD, as I exhibited all the major symptoms.  Mental health services were hopeless though, and eventually - with the support of a therapist, who first identified what she thought were ASC traits instead - I insisted on a direct referral to the county autism unit.

Firstly, I had a home visit from an assessor from a local autism trust (now, as it happens, my employer!), and he thought it was definitely worth pursuing.  At the final diagnostic assessment, I was interviewed for about an hour.  Then my mother was interviewed separately, and was asked about my childhood and how I managed with my developmental milestones.  Her interview took about 30 minutes.  The final diagnosis came through a few weeks later.

Interestingly, too... since my diagnosis, my mental health problems have improved.  No longer am I anxious and depressed 'for no apparent reason'.  My panic attacks can now be explained, as can my frequent (though becoming much less frequent) feelings of emptiness.

I've never applied for a PIP, but I've been on ESA a couple of times.  Each time, I've scored '0' on work capability assessments, and been bumped back onto JSA.  The first time, I took it to tribunal and won.  The second time, I gave up.  The system is designed to fail people - especially, I think, those with mental health disorders.  The system itself is deeply sick.  The presumption is always 'well until proven sick.'

Good luck with it all.  Just be yourself.

Tom

Children