Are there any women here?

Hi, I’m new to the forum and want to know if there are any women here online (I’m a  female professional in my early 40s). From reading some posts you are out there but kind of in the minority....I am hoping to seek diagnosis very soon and would appreciate knowing I’m not alone out here..! Thank you

Parents
  • Hi

I am a 39 year old woman, diagnosed with Asperger's almost exactly one year ago. It's great to hear from other women on here, I identify with a lot of what you are saying! I've been meaning to post here to ask a question actually, and this seems like a good thread to post it on Blush

Can anyone recommend a good, accessible, not too lengthy book I can give my mum to read that explains AS disorders, preferably in women and girls, child and adult. My diagnosis is quite new, I have a reasonably good relationship with my parents but I live quite far from them, have done for almost 20 years, so I only see them maybe twice a year. I feel very frustrated trying to explain to them how my ASD affects me because I am not around them regularly and they are not really part of my day to day life. I am usually ok at social situations, and my mum is a bit old school and a bit of that mindset where I think she suspects there is nothing really wrong, that it is 'just a label', she even came out with the classic 'well, everyone's a bit autistic'!

I'm hoping there is something out there! 

Thanks

• Hi Picard....

In tems if reading I started with the Tania Marshall checklist for women

https://taniaannmarshall.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/moving-towards-a-female-profile-the-unique-characteristics-abilities-and-talents-of-asperwomen-adult-women-with-asperger-syndrome/

Then read Cynthia Kim’s “Nerdy, why and socially inappropriate”.... good practice advice and talks practical day to day living which makes it accessible.... review here... https://psychcentral.com/lib/nerdy-shy-socially-inappropriate-a-user-guide-to-an-asperger-life/

and.. Laura James - Odd Girl Out..

then read.. “twirling naked in the street, and no one noticed” by an American author...again talks about growing up bring different....childhood, school, work, relationships etc

hope that helps

Reply Children