Fear of phones?

Does anyone else have a horror of talking on the phone? I have hated using the phone since I was a child, although it is hard to pin down exactly why I dislike it so much. I think my main difficulty is 'reading' how a conversation is going when I can't see the other person. I pause for too long, or jump in too soon, or struggle to pick up crucial info from their tone - is this a bad time to call? am I making myself clear?

I am currently going through a work-related nightmare scenario where I have been asked to make loads of phone calls - in a situation I have always previously handled by email - and I feel stressed and anxious about all the time: anticipating the calls, making the calls, reflecting on the calls. It is supposed to be making everyone feel encouraged, but if any of the hapless recipients are like me they will be thoroughly put off!

I have always thought this was just a random failure on my part, but now I am wondering whether it is integral to my nature.

Parents
  • I hate phones, occasionally, I can get in to the act and get the flow of the conversation running. I have really anxious wait this weekend for an ebay seller, who only wants to use the phone. It is to buy a music keyboard. I really hate these people, keep pushing to speak on the phone, when you do it all seems a bit pointless, and why they couldn't have just let me know by email.

Had a row with my Dad over the telephone earlier tonight, again he insisted I phone him, He called shortly after I got home after a long and stressful week. He is selling a house and used an estate agent for fixed fee to be paid up front, which he paid. He spoke to the agent, and he has switched to his standard percentage rate, I said I feel the money you paid up front should be paid back.Seemed to have sparked some angry feelings,

I wanted to wind down and relax this weekend as best as I could

• I hate phones, occasionally, I can get in to the act and get the flow of the conversation running. I have really anxious wait this weekend for an ebay seller, who only wants to use the phone. It is to buy a music keyboard. I really hate these people, keep pushing to speak on the phone, when you do it all seems a bit pointless, and why they couldn't have just let me know by email.

Had a row with my Dad over the telephone earlier tonight, again he insisted I phone him, He called shortly after I got home after a long and stressful week. He is selling a house and used an estate agent for fixed fee to be paid up front, which he paid. He spoke to the agent, and he has switched to his standard percentage rate, I said I feel the money you paid up front should be paid back.Seemed to have sparked some angry feelings,

I wanted to wind down and relax this weekend as best as I could

Children
No Data