Fear of phones?

Does anyone else have a horror of talking on the phone? I have hated using the phone since I was a child, although it is hard to pin down exactly why I dislike it so much. I think my main difficulty is 'reading' how a conversation is going when I can't see the other person. I pause for too long, or jump in too soon, or struggle to pick up crucial info from their tone - is this a bad time to call? am I making myself clear?

I am currently going through a work-related nightmare scenario where I have been asked to make loads of phone calls - in a situation I have always previously handled by email - and I feel stressed and anxious about all the time: anticipating the calls, making the calls, reflecting on the calls. It is supposed to be making everyone feel encouraged, but if any of the hapless recipients are like me they will be thoroughly put off!

I have always thought this was just a random failure on my part, but now I am wondering whether it is integral to my nature.

Parents
  • Absolutely hate phones and phonecalls. I can get by at work with using emails sometimes but as a project manager I'm expected to be at the other end of a phone at all times which is very difficult. I used to work in recruitment and would ring people to invite them for interviews. I didn't mind this at all as I was making the calls and i developed my own script to follow. However, my current situation is very different and I dread my phone ringing. As many have said, it's a complete lack of understanding what people are saying to me, being aware of others around me listening to what I'm saying, and not having instant answers. I always have to follow up the phonecall with an email to state my real answers. But I am hopeful of getting better at this, I've only been in the job 4 months. 

• Absolutely hate phones and phonecalls. I can get by at work with using emails sometimes but as a project manager I'm expected to be at the other end of a phone at all times which is very difficult. I used to work in recruitment and would ring people to invite them for interviews. I didn't mind this at all as I was making the calls and i developed my own script to follow. However, my current situation is very different and I dread my phone ringing. As many have said, it's a complete lack of understanding what people are saying to me, being aware of others around me listening to what I'm saying, and not having instant answers. I always have to follow up the phonecall with an email to state my real answers. But I am hopeful of getting better at this, I've only been in the job 4 months. 

Children
No Data