Has Anyone had any experience of the Mandatory Reconsideration For PIP

Ive just been turned down for PIP while transitioning from DLA, which I had a Lifetime award for. I was awarded 2 points and I did not have a very good time of it with the assessor who I felt was bullying me from the moment I went into the room. I was so anxious about it. That I forgot my coat and the security guard on duty had to bring it into me. 

My circumstances have changed since I got the life award, but not for the better. My late mother died who did everything for me and protected me quite a bit from the DWP and so forth. 

I attend a regular support group for people with autism. I am fairly high functioning but still struggle with day to day tasks. For example, I can not cook a meal from scratch because of lapses in concentration so need an element of prompted to achieve that task. Because I do not have anything in place for that. My diet is made up of ready meals, which get burned a lot of the time because I put them in and get into doing something else and forget they are there. Even with an alarm to tell me when it is done. I can become so absorbed in what I am doing that I will not hear it or pay it mind. I also only really go out and about when in supported environments. Because I find the mainstream world to be to much of a hassle to navigate. And I still struggle with relationships. 

I think the decision is WRONG and the report is made up of generalizations and it's very obvious I wasn't listened too. 

The report notes that because I work and have a little bit of an education that I should be able to cope without the PIP. Its very dismissive of the anxiety, the executive functioning and the depression that I deal with and I feel very dismissive of me as an individual with autism. Even though when I mentioned the work I do I was sure to let them know it was supported employment through UNITED RESPONSE. The lady that set up and runs the support group that I attended was with me during the assessment and it we even had letters of support from a mental health social worker that knows me as well as the Autism Co-Ordinator in my area. 

What advice can you give me about appealing this? I am presently very anxious and uncertain on how I am going to cope on a diminished income, much of which covers the general costs of living. Should I go straight to Welfare rights and get their help with Mandatary Appeal. The person that went with me to the appointment is still helping me. She had a feeling that it might not go my way because she felt the assessor did not have enough experience of people with autism in order to make a fair and informed decision. I just generally felt intimidated and bullied by him from the very start. 

I have GCSE's and A BTEC and these things have been used against me by the assessor. I had a mother taking care of me when I did those and a lot of support. I would not be able to do them now in my current situation. Now I struggle to manage day to day and find it really exhausting doing the things that I do. Volunteering at a community centre, which has others like me. And working within the system itself via UR as a consultant, which is paid but its not work that comes up every week. Truth be told I'd struggle to do 16 hours in most jobs. Especially supermarkets and the like because I have auditry sensativity to a point where prolonged exposure to noisy work places leads to meltdown. 

Parents Reply Children
No Data