Antisocial vs not being very good at being social

I wonder how many of us are seen as being antisocial when the issue is more a difficulty in knowing how to, or a fear/aversion to socially engaging with others?
Is there a tendency for some people to conflate sociopathy with ASD/Asperger's/Autism?

Parents
  • Does anyone else find that if you do make a friend it's very difficult to keep the friendship going in the long term? Maybe it's just me, but most of the time they start losing interest after a few months. It seems to me that they are expecting something more, but I don't know what it is. I can do small talk up to a point, but I do tend to run out of new things to say, so perhaps they get bored or have interpreted my social inadequacy as an insult.

• Does anyone else find that if you do make a friend it's very difficult to keep the friendship going in the long term? Maybe it's just me, but most of the time they start losing interest after a few months. It seems to me that they are expecting something more, but I don't know what it is. I can do small talk up to a point, but I do tend to run out of new things to say, so perhaps they get bored or have interpreted my social inadequacy as an insult.

Children
  • I can definitely relate to this. I find meeting people for the first time very easy, but following that up and establishing a relationship is something I haven't been able to figure out. Sometimes it's because I don't input much into a relationship because of this, other times we don't match that well - it's not something you can force, so I'm not too concerned about it to be honest. "Just smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave" works for me! <3