Age and the practicality of seeking an assessment/diagnosis

I am 60. At what ages does there cease to be any practical point in seeking an assessment/dx? It's not as though I'm going to be able to reverse the damage of 4 decades of mistreatment is it?

Parents
  • Hello. I'm 45. I just received a full diagnose last month.

They told me my behaviour could be fully explained by autism, and I didn't suffer from manic depression nor paranoia. 

If it's a disease for some aspects of my life, it has perks. I can go through lines of code and see errors where others seem blind.

There is no cure, but I find it helps a lot to allow myself a lonely hobby. Playing computergames from the 90's and gardening. Both hobbies with highly predictable results and sufficiently boring for the brain to start pleasantly purring. The diagnose helped the people around me (two teenagers and my wife) to better accept this. 

• Hello. I'm 45. I just received a full diagnose last month.

They told me my behaviour could be fully explained by autism, and I didn't suffer from manic depression nor paranoia. 

If it's a disease for some aspects of my life, it has perks. I can go through lines of code and see errors where others seem blind.

There is no cure, but I find it helps a lot to allow myself a lonely hobby. Playing computergames from the 90's and gardening. Both hobbies with highly predictable results and sufficiently boring for the brain to start pleasantly purring. The diagnose helped the people around me (two teenagers and my wife) to better accept this. 

Children
No Data